Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital Piano stand height?

DC

Hi guys,

I finally got a weighted keyboard (Alesis QS 8.1) and the thing is a bit wide for my Ultimate A-frame sitting in my studio. Any X style stand I've tried is very wobbly so I'd like to go ahead and get some birch plywood and just make one of those piano type stands like they sell.

So what I'd like to know is; if you put a ruler on a non-depressed white key on a grand piano and measured from there to the floor, what would that distance be? Also, how tall is a standard piano bench?

Is this standard on all real pianos?

Thanks for your time!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks... I was looking for this info myself. My kurz is sitting too high.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by lrossmusic:

Hey thanks, I always wanted to know that myself. :) Are your arm's suppose to be more or less parallel to the floor when playing piano?

Yes, but more importantly, your wrists should be straight, so if you bend over Bill Evans like, you might want to lower the seat.

Originally posted by Postman:

Originally posted by lrossmusic:

Hey thanks, I always wanted to know that myself. :) Are your arm's suppose to be more or less parallel to the floor when playing piano?

Yes, but more importantly, your wrists should be straight, so if you bend over Bill Evans like, you might want to lower the seat.
Would not you have to raise the seet if you hunch over?

You probably want your arms to fall slightly from elbow to wrist. Emphasis on slightly. The main thing is to be able to play with straight rists without introducing any tension in the arm keeping them in that position.

Thanks a bunch Jeep!

Originally posted by petros:

What made you choose a QS.8? I just sold one for a friend.

Actually the main consideration was cost, they're being blown out now for around 8 bills (B-stock). I could go this route or a Fatar, but for the extra 2 bills I get sounds (some are quite good), ADAT out (my computer has an ADAT card in it already), no wall wart, and still get a weighted action with aftertouch, pitch and mod wheels etc.

If I could afford a Yammy S-90 I would have got it I expect, but the Alesis with americanmusical's easy pay plan meant I could have one now. Also, the Q-cards are going at sale prices too.

Originally posted by Byrdman:

[QB}Would not you have to raise the seat if you hunch over?[/QB]

It depends. If you find that by leaning over you raise the level of your elbows with respect to the floor, you'd drop the seat so that your hands a higher in relation to your elbows. Whatever. You got the point. There's no set height for the seat (or keyboard if you can adjust it).

• 4 weeks later...
If you have a chair or a stool with an adjustable height, the height of the piano stand in not so critical, right?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

My stand came in two boxes tied together as one.They have a lot of padding inside(hence the bulky size).

Black stand with three pedals. Great for any kind of electronic piano.I paid $7.00 for mine plus $45.00 S/H.

Originally posted by Jeep:

Floor to top of undepressed middle C = 26 3/4 "

Floor to top of wooden bench = 18 1/4 "

Measured on my Yamaha upright. :)

This has always been a problem for me too. I think most keyboard stands are too tall.

One problem is I think they're designed for the average keyboard, which seems to have a thickness of about 2 inches at the front. However, my P120 has a thickness of 4.5 inches at the front. A lot of digital pianos seem to be thicker than the average synth-style keyboard. That means that however tall my keyboard stand is off the ground, I need to add 4.5 inches.

The lowest keyboard stand I could find was the Quik-lok WS-550, with a height of 24.5 inches. At least, that's the lowest stand which is also really sturdy. Some of the X-stands might be able to be adjusted lower than that, but I find them not solid enough.

So, my P120 on the WS-550 stand has keys 28 inches off the ground. Close, but it still seems a little high.

Archived