Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Custom made stage monitor

Carlito

Hi guys.

I'm planning to get a Art SLA-1 100w/channel amp, and build a full range stereo monitor system to be put on top of my Rhodes stage73.A one piece,long box covering the entire length of the Rhodes(41 inches).Height and depth 9"X 9",all speakers facing the same side, so by just rotating the box, i could have the speakers facing the player, the ceiling, or the audience.(playing in a band, they would be right on my face, and in a small, quiet environment, they would face the audience).

My question is. Is this doable? I don't wanna buy a whole set of speakers+crossovers+etc, and then have to sell them for a fraction of the price on eBay if the project fails.If so,any recommendation on speakers size(8"maximum),type,quantity(two 8" + tweeter on each half of the box?)

Any ideas,links,opinions will be very much appreciated.

Unrelated question:I'm trying to find a used Gulbrasen midiRetrofit kit for the rhodes since a new one is very expensive. Maybe the new Moog Piano-Bar will have a 73key version.I was also thinking about taking the key contact strip from my old Roland EP7 and sticking it under the keys of the rhodes. Steven Kruyswijk has done something similar with a roland A-30 and his Rhodes, but it seems like a lotta work.Again, any thoughts?

Love you guys. :love:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, you can do it. The question is will the speaker match the speaker enclosure, cause you at least want good sound. Any speaker in any box won't do, been there, done that. Tweets are usually self contained and won't care what box they are in as long as they are not recessed. If it just a two way system you will only need a capacitor for the tweets cause the woofer will cross themselves over. What are you gonna do about the mid-range? Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Thanks KcBass.

What i'm trying to do is what Yamaha,Roland,etc do to their digital pianos with built-in speakers.But i wanna be able to position the speakers in any direction just by switching sides.I also want a more extended frequency range( especially in the lows), and more power.

I tried to upload a picture of a Tannoy Reveal X dual driver monitor(my monitor would be like two Tannoy's side by side looking like one long single monitor).The uploading didn't work. :mad:

The two 8" woofers per side would cover the mid-range maybe better than a single 12", and still give me a good bass.( i think).

Thanks again.

Selecting a pair of 8" drivers, a crossover and two tweeters/horns and then buiding a correct enclosure could be a daunting task. However, it is often done (home audiophiles, car stero.) Do a Google search for DIY speakers. It's a deep subject.

Perhaps you could get a pair of studio monitors and incorporate them into your Rhode-top box. Make sure they are heavy duty and can handle the power, the Rhodes bass is pretty low and the signal is dynamic.

By Kennyex:

Perhaps you could get a pair of studio monitors and incorporate them into your Rhode-top box.
Thanks Kennyex. I might just do what you suggested,but i'll try a Google search first.If you know any good Website on the subject, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Archived