Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clock setting on fp-8?

dissident

Can anyone tell me how to "make the clock setting as external" on the FP-8 digital piano, and what it means?

The thing is I am having problem with my USB MIDI interface and on the company support forum it said that people using Roland keyboards with the interface should "make the clock setting as external".

Maybe I'm totaly missing the point...

Thank you for your reply

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:confused:

IIRC, the FP-8 is a just digital piano with onboard speakers...

It does have a very simple note sequencer, but nothing to really speak of (one or two tracks, I think). Nor does it have any sort of digital I/O, right?

If both are true, then I'm not sure what the people on the Roland forum are talking about - those are the only functions that I can think of that require external clocking.

What kind of problems are you having with your interface? Is it just a MIDI interface? If so, then I'm pretty sure that clock settings (if the FP-8 even have any to speak of) won't make any difference.

...unless you're trying to sync the little note sequencer up to something else; and, IIRC, it's a pretty basic little note recorder, so I'm not sure they'd have provided for such a thing.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Ok, here's a more detailed description of my problem.

I just bought a simple USB MIDI i/o interface so I can use my Fp8 with Cubase SX, and its VST intstruments such as LM4 and Halion. The interface connects to a USB port in my Power Macintosh MDD 1GHz (it doesn't have MIDI ports) and to the MIDI ports on my fp8. The problem is that when I play on the digital piano, Cubase and the VST instruments don't respond corectly. Some notes hang, most notes that I play aren't registered at all and no sound comes out of the VST instrument. When I went to the forum of the midi interface company (Audiotrak), it said that about clock setting, not sure if that is for my problem. So I don't want to use the sounds that the fp8 carries, I only wan't to use piano for MIDI with my computer.

Originally posted by dissident:

I just bought a simple USB MIDI i/o interface so I can use my Fp8 with Cubase SX, and its VST intstruments such as LM4 and Halion. The interface connects to a USB port in my Power Macintosh MDD 1GHz (it doesn't have MIDI ports) and to the MIDI ports on my fp8. The problem is that when I play on the digital piano, Cubase and the VST instruments don't respond corectly. Some notes hang, most notes that I play aren't registered at all and no sound comes out of the VST instrument. When I went to the forum of the midi interface company (Audiotrak), it said that about clock setting, not sure if that is for my problem. .

Hmmmm...I can't see what the relevance of the FP-8's clock setting (if there even is such a thing) would be.

So I don't want to use the sounds that the fp8 carries, I only wan't to use piano for MIDI with my computer.
In Cubase, do you have MIDI thru option turned off, and/or do you only have the MIDI out of the FP-8 connected to the MIDI in of the interface?

The only other thing that I can think of is that maybe some other program that you have on your computer is in conflict with the interface...

Did the interface come with any sort of driver software?

dB

Midi thru is turned on in cubase, and I have the midi out of the fp8 connected to the midi in of the interface. What you need to remember is that the interface and cubase DOES respond when I play, and I can get sound out of VST instruments, but lots of notes I play drop out and when I play fast only a few notes now and then go through to Cubase. This all makes it pretty unusable.

The USB midi interface doesn't come with a driver since Mac OS X recognizes it as you plug it in, and so does cubase.

I'm beginning to think I got a faulty interface or something...

Originally posted by dissident:

I'm beginning to think I got a faulty interface or something...

Could be...

I'm far from an expert on USB interfaces, as you can probably tell... ;)

Random thought - have you tried a different MIDI cable? Maybe the one you're using is passing intermittent signal. Just a guess...

dB

Archived