Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

damn Kyma is awesome!!!

schmoron13

I just reread an article from EQ with BT and it reminded me of Kyma, so I looked up their site and those examples are amazing....but a 3k pricetag...to start with!!??

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on it? I know BT loves it, but i'd like to know if anyone here does :P

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Base Kyma System $3300

Firewire Interface $270

Four Channel I/O upgrade $995

Expansion Cards $595 each (max of 12) $7,200

It could be $11,500 not counting a PC/Mac to run the thing...

Don't have one, just the literature.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

Just give me Reaktor, Vaz Modular, Tassman, z3ta+, and a host of VST effects. If I cannot get that sound I need from that then I might consider spending the 11 grand. Or maybe not. Even I don't have that much GAS.

Robert

I have a Kyma system and Reaktor and it's not just about possibilities ... it's also about sound quality. Kyma is mostly far superior here although it has a distinct sound sometimes.

Maybe Reaktor 4 is coming closer now but Kyma users expect a new release of the software in the very near future too.

Nirto Karsten Fischer

FORCED MEDIA

Visions Of Excess

wait, you don't HAVE to spend that much. That's akin to saying if anybody wants pro tools, they have to shell out 20k for every possible expansion, and option. Aside from that, does anyone have experience with it? how's the learning curve for someone with a zero experience in sound design/analog synths?

wait, you don't HAVE to spend that much. That's akin to saying if anybody wants pro tools, they have to shell out 20k for every possible expansion, and option. Aside from that, does anyone have experience with it? how's the learning curve for someone with a zero experience in sound design/analog synths?
It's not clear if you meant PT or Kyma. In the case you meant Kyma the learning curve is probably very steep if you haven't any experience in the fields you mentioned. Furthermore with a basic Kyma system several features are not possible in high quality AND realtime. To go with a basic Kyma system is a mistake IMO.

Are you really interested in a Kyma system or just

trying to get some entertaining answers?

Nirto Karsten Fischer

FORCED MEDIA

Visions Of Excess

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Given that this the people in this thread seem to be BT cogniscenti, I'm wondering if someone might have a piece of information I'm trying to get?

Apparently BT uses a beam controller device (not D-Beam) that he uses for some of his live stutter effects. At one point I found the web page of the manufacturer of the device, but as sometimes happens with internet research, I lost the link. To make matters worse, I can't remember the name of the device!

Any clues what it might be?

Thanks,

Rob Yale

I heard something about that though not once have heard his music.

Anyway, the beam is just a physical controller, I believe Csound was doing the realtime sample slicing. So the light(motion?) sensor is sending a control signal that the Csound instrument understands and thus controls. If they are using MIDI or not, who knows. Csound run in the same circles as Kyma as for big nasty cool softsynths, just the type of thing I have a hard time using. Reminds me, must buy CSound book. ;)

Originally posted by Rob Yale:

Hi,

Given that this the people in this thread seem to be BT cogniscenti, I'm wondering if someone might have a piece of information I'm trying to get?

Apparently BT uses a beam controller device (not D-Beam) that he uses for some of his live stutter effects. At one point I found the web page of the manufacturer of the device, but as sometimes happens with internet research, I lost the link. To make matters worse, I can't remember the name of the device!

Any clues what it might be?

Thanks,

Rob Yale

Names to Remember:

Charles Stepney & Emory Cook

Archived