Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixing tips for a simulated Leslie

Jode

I recently set up my Hammond M3 for recording with a 1/4" out, running it through my SWR Triad bass cabinet. The dry miked signal sounds awesome: clear as a bell, very "tacky" with key click, and easy to distort. All I had for Leslie, though, is my partner's Line 6 Modulation Modeler, using the "Rotary Drum" patch. The stereo effect and speed changes sound great, and the low rotor simulator is actually pretty impressive - you can hear two rotor speeds at once - but the sound itself is a little muted. It's not really noisy, like you'd expect a stompbox signal to be, but it's missing that crystalline presence that the miked signal had in the highs and high mids.

We haven't begun mixing yet, so I don't have any trial-and-error findings to report yet. Anyone got any suggestions before we begin? I should also add that I'm thinking of running the signal through my friend's Line 6 Distortion Modeler in a few places for some tasty valve overdrive; could that help wake up the signal?

(I should also add that I'm considering saying "to hell with it" and scrapping the stompbox tracks and recutting the dry signal through a Motion Sound or real-live Leslie, if I can ever get access to one, but the stompbox signal could be really good if it were only more 'present'.)

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It's not really noisy, like you'd expect a stompbox signal to be, but it's missing that crystalline presence that the miked signal had in the highs and high mids."

have you tried running the Line 6 box into a speaker (or two for stereo) and then miking that? It might add some "air" to the sound.

I thought about that. I don't have two speaker cabinets that I can use for that, though. However, renting them would be easier than finding a Leslie for rent.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I also use an M3 and what I am currently doing is just plain miking my M3 speaker into a digital Fx stomp box for leslie Fx. I can also add another keyboard sound through the in-put using 1/4 jack end for added keyboard and that smaller 1/8 jack on the other end connected to my M3 amp.

How did you connect your 1/4 out? are you still able to get your M3 vibrato/percussion sounds that way?

keyofgee

Archived