Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How's it hangin' in the hood?

How's come black people think of all the cool slang. It's weird, black people come up with all these unique phrases and then a year or two later after black people have stopped using the phrase white people take it over and think they're cool for doing so. It's amazing all the black lingo that has crept into everyday usage, for instance, chillin', as in, we were just chillin' out after eating an entire 30 lb. turkey. I hope I don't sound like I'm patronizing black people. English IS a much richer language because of their influence. I just popped back in town to do a little work tommorow and then I'm back on the road. Hope everyone had as marvelous a Thanksgiving as I did. My family keeps trying to turn Thanksgiving into a generic event. There was a movement afoot to eliminate the giblet dressing and replace it with a vegetarian substitute. I really had to put my foot down, well I fell down on the ground kicking and screaming until they made it, might have to make it myself next year. Come on now [b]the giblet dressing[/b] is just as important as the turkey to me. I am truly THANKFUL that I live in a country where food is so abundant! WORD! Party on Garth. ( there's an example of white people's slang)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]. Hope everyone had as marvelous a Thanksgiving as I did. [/b][/quote]That sounds like some deep heavy slang with double meanings and all.Way over my head,I'm just not that hip.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I think that you're thinking that slang that all of the black people 'thought of and whitey stole' was mostly composed by whitey back in 'the day'. Take, ferinstance, "da bomb". Whitey came up with it in the 60s, and black people rediscovered it later on. "Chillin'" is probably another prime example, as people were truly cold in the Ice Age, the time where my parents (and some of you good people) come from. Black people, for the most part, don't come up with anything cool to say. They steal what white people have said, corrupt it, and then use it as their own, giving no props to who used it before. I'm not trashing black people or anything, trust me, they just don't have anything new to say. Oh yeah, they are reopening STAX Records here in Memphis, as a museum, with a music acadamy next door, so that all the poverty stricken folk in that neighborhood can learn to shoot and play the horn at the same time.

Yeah, but ask a white drummer and a black drummer to play a 16th note shuffle on the hi hat, and you will get two completely different things, the latter of course being a lot better. I hate to put it like this, but white people tend to think less about how something sounds and more about how fast they can play it. Think about geddy lee - now there's a white bass player. Then take a good look at James Jamerson and you'll be singing a different tune and wondering why you ever listened to rush. Other Bad A$$ ying's.... Carter Beauford Stevie Wonder Miles Davis John Coltrane So there. I hope I ain't bein too 'Archie Bunker' about any of all that. Keny

http://www.kennyruyter.com/old/cowmix.mp3 <- Cowbell fever REMIX oh damn!!!

http://www.eastcoastbands.com

aka: ECBRules . thisOLDdude . keny . Scooch

[i]Yeah, but ask a white drummer and a black drummer to play a 16th note shuffle on the hi hat, and you will get two completely different things, the latter of course being a lot better. I hate to put it like this, but white people tend to think less about how something sounds and more about how fast they can play it. [/i] Yeh and I mean who could be insulted by that? :D Can I get you a beer Archie? I'll file that one under the most stupidest fucking thing I've ever read in my life. :D :D God, I hope this is a tongue n' cheek thread.

oh this is gonna get ugly :evil: get yer flamesuits on anyway, skin color has nothing to do with anything mentioned in this thread. period. everyone is different and i am sick of this crap. i am sick of this crap, i am sick of this crap! last night we went and played a gig in alexandria MN. we have never played there before; no one knew us. it was a private party for hispanic guests at a restuarant closed to the public. we played well despite the situation(s). NO ONE, i repeat NO ONE in the audience EVER ONCE talked to me. they couldnt see me. I HATE THAT. IT PISSES ME OFF TO NO END. at least the hispanic community in the area we normally play has gotten used to "the white guy who plays keys like a mexican" and talks to me LIKE I AM A PERSON REGARDLESS OF ME BEING OF A DIFFERENT SKIN COLOR THAN THEMSELVES and we have gotten past that bullshit, but now here again starting over in a new place they cant see me. everyone else in the band got props from the audience after the gig BUT NOT ONE person talked to me. Because i am different. fuck that shit. knockittoff folks, it aint cool. ya cant lump people together because of color. its stupid and unfounded. oh, i just remembered this: i tried to forget it, but now i am mad after reading all this crap it was a dinner party we were playing at, and one of the deals was we got all we could drink beer and a dinner plate. so as we all sat down at the table to have dinner, plates were brought to all the people at the table, EXCEPT ME. i got nothing. the rest of the band started talking to the people in charge, and it escalated to yelling and pointing and finally, after about 10 minutes, i was brought out a plate. all this happened in spanish and was too fast for me to understand a lot of it but i caught what it was about. i am fucking mad about this.

[quote]Originally posted by coaster: [b] anyway, skin color has nothing to do with anything mentioned in this thread. period. everyone is different and i am sick of this crap. i am sick of this crap, i am sick of this crap! [/b][/quote]Coaster, that was pretty much the point of my post above. Can't we all just smoke some pot and get along?
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by coaster: [b] everyone else in the band got props from the audience after the gig BUT NOT ONE person talked to me. Because i am different.[/b][/quote]maybe you just suck. :wave:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Kill Whitey!!! Oh man, look what this thread turned into. It's a cultural dilemma, man. Don't you know that we're all pink on the inside? We really are, believe it or not. If I cut a black man, does he not bleed red? If I cut whitey, does he not scream in pain at being cut by a mexican? If I cut a mexican, is he not going to shoot somebody (sorry Sylver, er, Chong). I agree, let's all just smoke some nugs and get along.

Archived