Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

mp3 to .wav conversion?

Kwiks

hey everyone

is there mp3 to wav file conversion software out there? where can i download it, or can I at all?

Thanks

Kwiks

"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." - Butthole Surfers

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
. But keep in mind that when you go from MP3 to WAV, you're still stuck with the relative low (compressed) quality of the MP3
I heard that mp3 is lossy format. If it looses quality after compression, why do we need uncompression software? I mean I can just record mp3 playback right into my hard disk and get wav file. If uncompressed mp3 (using mp3 to wav software) sounds same as directly recorded wav, why do we have to have mp3 to wave softwares?

Any thoughts? And how does audio editing software's direct mp3 or wma editing feature work? Does it convert mp3 to wave quickly, edit, and recompress? or does its editing engine (dsp?) is natively compatible to mp3 or wma? Thanks.

S K Y N A R E

I heard that mp3 is lossy format. If it looses quality after compression, why do we need uncompression software? I mean I can just record mp3 playback right into my hard disk and get wav file. If uncompressed mp3 (using mp3 to wav software) sounds same as directly recorded wav, why do we have to have mp3 to wave softwares?

Any thoughts? And how does audio editing software's direct mp3 or wma editing feature work? Does it convert mp3 to wave quickly, edit, and recompress? or does its editing engine (dsp?) is natively compatible to mp3 or wma? Thanks.[/QB]

Mp3 is a lossy format because it throws away sound that it considers perceptually insignificant prior to compression. But then it still compresses what's left over. But uncompressing does not restore what was thrown away.

You can certainly play mp3 back and record it as wav, but then you introduce the ambient noise of your system. Direct conversion is much better.

I'm not sure you can make a statement about audio editing software in general. However, Cakewalk, for example will import mp3 and convert it to wav (or more precisely, I guess, pcm format) for editing. You can then choose to export it in whatever format you wish--mp3, wav, rm, etc. However, as was noted in the other response, the quality is only going to be as good as the original mp3 file.

Clark Murray

Digital Music Doctor

Sonar 4 - Know It All! Coming Soon

www.digitalmusicdoctor.com

Archived