Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond though the ages

Jode

A great history of the beautiful beast, a uniquely American invention that not only changed teh face of music, but also had a significant social impact on family life.

http://users.belgacombusiness.net/hammond/usa-frm4.htm

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jode, I spent a lot of time there today. That's where I first saw that New B-3. I believe the model numbers are diferent between the US and the European side of that site.

We pay a lot more over here for the same things you can buy in the US. If my son-in-law is ever stationed over here again, I"m going to have him buy some _big_ stuff so I can either use it for myself or simply sell it and make some money for doing nothing.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

My favorite part of the story had nothing to do with Hammond:

"At the turn of the century, Thaddeus Cahill had filed five voluminous patents comprising 322 pages for his Telharmonium. Cahill's Telharmonium employed rotating magnetoelectric tone generators, each one man sized. In 1908, he demonstrated his unit, the size of a small powerhouse (see pictures) in New York City and elicited the praise and support of Mark Twain. For a time, his organ music was piped over telephone lines to subscribers like Muzak. Unfortunately, his only source of amplification was the telephone mechanical diaphragm, a poor source of transmission. When his Telharmonium interfered with telephone communications, Bell Telephone discontinued the service. J. P. Morgan reputedly was the source of complaint when during an important financial transaction on the telephone, the conversation was drowned out by a flood of organ music."

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Jode:

My favorite part of the story had nothing to do with Hammond:

"At the turn of the century, Thaddeus Cahill had filed five voluminous patents comprising 322 pages for his Telharmonium. Cahill's Telharmonium employed rotating magnetoelectric tone generators, each one man sized. In 1908, he demonstrated his unit, the size of a small powerhouse (see pictures) in New York City and elicited the praise and support of Mark Twain. For a time, his organ music was piped over telephone lines to subscribers like Muzak. Unfortunately, his only source of amplification was the telephone mechanical diaphragm, a poor source of transmission. When his Telharmonium interfered with telephone communications, Bell Telephone discontinued the service. J. P. Morgan reputedly was the source of complaint when during an important financial transaction on the telephone, the conversation was drowned out by a flood of organ music."

Fix the link please, nopictures. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Archived