Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Goldberg Variations fingerings

Goldberg

Ok, if you didn't already know this, the second half of the second variation has some pretty strange passages, finger-wise. I know, I know...it'll only get worse as I progress. But I've been looking at this for about 30 minutes or so, and while I've marked fingerings for the entire variation, I'm not sure I'm satisfied with them. Now, in particular I'm worried about bar 18. Keeping in mind that the d should be held through until the second g is played, what would you suggest as a fingering? I have my thumb holding on the d, then 4 on the first g, 3 on f#, 5 on a, 4 (g) 3 (f#) and then (this is the problem) 3&1 on the following e and b. Obviously, this results in the seperation of the e&b from the f#...so is there another way to do this?

I also seem to have trouble in the 31st bar...without listing the note names (I'll assume that if you don't have the music in front of you, you won't be too much help) the fingerings at the very beginning of 31 are: (5,3;5;4,1;5;4...) and for those descending...6ths, are they (just a quick calculation), which I actually did the fingering for before playing the measure before it (kinda dumb) I have...(5,2;4,1;3,1). Unfortunately, this doesn't work well with the fingering before it in the measure. However, I haven't found anything else that works! Help!!!

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Striker - try this:

For bar 18 (second quarter, right hand) try to pass the 5th finger on the E: 4, 3, 5-1, 4, then in bar 19: 5-2, 1, etc. That's how they often did it in the baroque era.

For bar 31, I would try this: 5-3, 4, 3-1, 5, 4-1, 5-2, 4-1, 3-1, resolving on 4-1 on G-B at the beginning of 32.

Hope this helps

Carlo

Archived