Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need $500 DAW. help me recording experts.

I want a $500 DAW. Advice please! yeah i know 500 is real cheapo. but i'm poor. . hee hee. anyways, what are some good parts setup for a $500 system? i know a friend who could build it for me, but i was asking you experts here what would be appropriate. my friend said to just get a 1.8 celeron, and this 50 dollar mobo on pricecheck. burner for 50 bucks, and etc. i'm not gonna be playing games or anything. just internet. i obviously don't need STELLAR quality of recording, but i want to stretch my dollar. what's important and what's not? what do you guys think? are there any suggestions you could make for me? alternate pllans?? thanks guys :D

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ECSK7S5A Mobo=$50.00(has built in sound),Athlon XP 1700=$50.00,Mushkin 250mbPC2100 DDR=$89.00,Western Digital ATA 100 20 Gig HD $63.00,ATI Expert 32mb Vid card $32.00,Maxtop empty case $31.00,Sparkle 350W power supply $42.00,Get a Sony CDRW at best buy or Circuit City for around $60.00.That comes out to around $417.00 minus shipping charges leaving you around $50.00 left over for a used 17 monitor.You will not beat this system for performance and price,but don't try and screw around with cheap memory or power supplys.Get everything here [url=http://www.newegg.com/app/catalog.asp]www.newegg.com/app/catalog.asp[/url] Then go here for the DDR memory [url=http://www.mushkin.com/cgi-bin/Mushkin.filereader?3de2a87a0321e350273fc0a801030645+EN/catalogs/5378]www.mushkin.com/cgi-bin/Mushkin.filereader?3de2a87a0321e350273fc0a801030645+EN/catalogs/5378[/url]
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

The best $500 "DAW" is an 8 track cassette Portastudio. I think that trying to use audio sequencing software with an onboard soundcard will be frustrating. You will not be able to monitor anything in real time for instance due to latency. Besides, the software alone will cost at least $300.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

That ECS system will that was priced for you will give you the best bang for you buck when it comes to CPU horsepower. However, unless you are planning on upgrading to a semi-pro soundcard at some time like an Audiophile or Echo MIA, then I probably wouldn't go the computer route. For $500 I'd either get a cheap digital standalone unit like a Fostex FD-4, VS880 etc., or a used PII-III system for $200-300 coupled with an Echo Mia card ($200). With the cheap PC you won't get loads of effects, but you will still have better audio quality and more tracks than any standalone in the same price range. The audio quality (or lack thereof) with most soundcards is so bad that it's not even worth using, IMO. Computer recording is not worth the hassle unless your using a decent audio interface.

[quote]Originally posted by gtrmac: [b] I think that trying to use audio sequencing software with an onboard soundcard will be frustrating. Besides, the software alone will cost at least $300.[/b][/quote]gtrmac has a point. But I'd still go with the PC. You can always upgrade to a better sound card later. By then you will have a better grasp on your needs, and can purchase accordingly. The same applies to monitor speakers. You can easily spend $500 on a set of those, and PC speakers are not a good long term solution. So when you buy, keep in mind that you WILL be making a few upgrades down the road if you plan on being even kind of serious. On the software end. Powertracks Pro-audio is a very nice program for the money. It's not as slick and pretty as the expensive packages, but it essentially does the same things about as well. What it's short on, will be things you probably wouldnt have a use for. It's also easy to learn. I don't think I could say the same for ProTools Free. I think it sells for around $50. Go to [url=http://www.PGmusic.com]www.PGmusic.com[/url] to see it. Check out Band in a Box while your there, if you plan to be using MIDI at all.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

cool! yeah, i do want to get a newer computer, because the one i'm using as we speak is a 133mhz w/32mb ram, etc... so anything is better. i probably won't go the standalone route, just cuz i want to kill two birds w/one stone. a used system sounds good. however, i want to make sure it's not busted or anything of course. a guy on another forum advised me to buy a dell refurbished on ebay. would that be a smart route? Dr. Flavin: i would get the audiophile or mia later. would that suffice quality wise for the computer? is that the only sound quality issue you saw? thanks again guys :love: :D

The Audiphile works flawless with this system.I heard but can't confirm that the Echo cards might be a problem on SiS based chipsets,and besides the Audiophile is on sale this month at GC for $149.00.The onboard sound does have good WDM drivers for Sonar(no Asio for Cubase))(about 3ms)but you'll eventually want the the quality of something like the Audiophile.I forgot to mention a CPU Fan,the Cooler Master's DP5-6I31C-A1 CPU Heat Sink and Fan is about $7.If you go this route let me know,I can give some time saving building tips and email you an ide patch you'll need.

[quote]Originally posted by Jotosuds: [b] is it pretty solid? [/b][/quote]With the components I posted it's the most reliable system Iv'e ever built besides the NForce 415 system I also own.Not so much as a minor lock up in over a year so far.But again,get the memory and power supply I suggested or better or you will run into problems.

DO NOT get a Celeron.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

[quote]Originally posted by where02190: [b]Boss and Roland make little DAW wannabees for under $500.00. Hope this is helpful.[/b][/quote]I don't think the Roland Digital recorders are unfer $500. Their recorders actually sound amazing. and no computer required (most of them) Don't go for the Boss recorders. Those use data compression. Fostex 8-Track Digital Recorder is about $499.99 Hope this helps.

Archived