Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need headset mic help

I play electric bass and recently have been encouraged to sing and play bass at the same time. I've used a loner headset mic, but would like to purchase one of my own. Some models that I've seen are AKG 444L, AKG 420, Crown CM-311A, Shure SM10A & SM12A. I'm not able to try these locally and will have to make my purchase from an online source so would like to be reasonably sure of my choice before ordering. I sing primarily in the bass/baritone range starting with a tone matching the low "B" on my five string bass and extending up to over three octaves, so I'll need a microphone that can accommodate that range. Does anyone have any experience with the above listed microphones or can anyone make another recommendation?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not in love with the 420 - mainly because the headset is not adjustable, so if it doesn't sit exactly right there is little you can do about it. Do you move around so much as to need a headset mic? In order to get one that sounds really good, you should plan on spending a fair chunk of change - while a good handheld mic and a stand would be cheaper.

Christopher, thank you for your input. It's not that I move my body around a lot. I play for a church praise & worship group and like to make a lot of eye contact, so I seem to be always moving my head around looking at members of our group and the congregation. We tied a handheld mic with stand at first, but they immediately called for a headset for me. The handheld was a Shure 58 and sounded fine, but I just wasn't keeping my mouth close to the mic.

I have had good success with the Countryman Isomax headset. It has a nice open sound to it. The only issue is gain before feedback. But, with EQ on the monitor, I'm sure it can get painfully loud. Best of all, it's real light, adjustable and I can move alot without it moving. Tom

The Crown CM-311A is my personal fav. We use them exclusively because they don't feedback as easily as some of the other products. I couple them with a Presonus ACP 88 multi channel compressor which really helps in smoothing out the signal. Rick

I had never heard of the Countryman Isomax so did a quick check on several websites. I like what I saw in the specs and it looks like it should be a comfortable fit. Of the sites that I found, Northern Sound looks to be the best price. Are there any other suggestions for suppliers? Thanks to all for the input.

Archived