Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you ready for some HOCKEY

Fat Chance

I think Vancouver could suffer the same fate non-Williams women tennis players have - if they beat one of the big teams they probably wont beat another aswell. I think to beat any of the big 3 its gonna take 6 or 7 games, probably with a few OTs. That takes a lot out of a team, then you look up and see another big gun in the way.

Bad news from the trades: Gilmour & Housley to the Leafs :( OK they're old, but they'll still make a difference.

Scanning the deadline deals I see Anaheim got a couple of good 'uns: Steve Thomas & Rob Niedermayer. Penguins seem to be dumping contacts. Avs with a nice deal for Battaglia.

Caps get Berezin for a 4th rounder - go teach Boob Clark how to trade (think Oates) Another lightning fast scorer. Good deal.

Kings lose Schneider & Smolinski. Good move for Detroit. I liked Kuznetsov last year, could turn out to be an OK deal for the Kings although it looks negative just now. Thats some good work by Ottawa aswell, none of the moves they made involved losing any players for their active roster. Apparently Tim Gleason, who the Kings got in return "is considered a can't-miss prospect." Know anything about him Jeff?

Predators take Warriner from the Flyers on Waivers?!? WHAT? Flyers only just got the guy, whats that all about? More draft picks given away (To Vancouver in the Warriner deal)

John Scotsman

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Predators take Warriner from the Flyers on Waivers?!? WHAT? Flyers only just got the guy, whats that all about? More draft picks given away (To Vancouver in the Warriner deal)

Speaking of draft picks the Flyers just gave away another draft pick this time a 4th round pick to the Blackhawks to reaquire Bobby Clarks son in law Peter White WHAT!!!!? He isnt worth what they gave up :bor:

Peace

Rob

Wow...I can't remember a year in recent history with this many trades on the last day of the deadline.

We're going to miss Schneider...not Smolinski, who is a talented player who seems too psyched out to play at his potential in recent years. Maybe he'll do better with the Sens.

This kid Gleason has 7 goals and 29 assists in the OHL. We'll see how that translates to NHL play. He's 20, he's 6'1" and 214 pounds...should be a good investment.

Kuznetsov is a defensive defensman. Keep in mind that the Kings lead the league right now in defensive scoring...we could use a few more stay at home guys. Avery is a tough little guy...I'm looking forward to having him on the team. The Wings also gave up their first-round pick in the 2003 draft and a second-round pick in the 2004 draft. Long-term, this was a pretty good deal for the Kings, considering they also got high draft picks for the Yuskevich trade a while ago.

Since I already forgot about this season (as apparently have the Kings management), I'm glad they're doing the right stuff to do well next year at this point.

- Jeff

Good trading by LA then. Glad there's a positive for the Kings after such a tough season.

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

I can't remember a year in recent history with this many trades on the last day of the deadline.

Its the record, 24 deals involving 46 players & 19 draft picks.

Originally posted by flyscots:

Its the record, 24 deals involving 46 players & 19 draft picks.

That's what I thought. The list is huge! If any of you haven't done so already, there's a great trade page on NHL.com that helps you keep track of each deal:

NHL Trade Central

- Jeff

Here's what Sports Illustrated said about the Kings' trades:

The Kings cut a ton of salary and got a whole lot younger with their deals. Bryan Smolinski was hot lately, but he wasn't going to be re-signed. Getting the Sens to give up top prospect Tim Gleason was a coup. GM Dave Taylor also got a ton from the Wings in exchange for Mathieu Schneider. Sean Avery will be a great third-line pest and quickly will endear himself to the Staples Center crowd. Maxim Kuznetsov will be a fifth or sixth defenseman. But the real steal of their deals is getting extra first- and fourth-round pick in this year's draft, as well as second- and seventh-round picks in the 2004 draft.

Grade: B

Not bad, like I said. I'm cool with it. By the way, the only teams to receive a "A" grade for their trades were the Stars and Maple Leafs.

- Jeff

Hey Jeff: I coulda used a little help last night!!! :cry: Sorry about the Kings this year. Hopefully the moves they made at the deadline will help 'em out in the future. Now, can you please get your guys to let the Caps win tomorrow? :thu:
None more black.

Originally posted by rog951:

Now, can you please get your guys to let the Caps win tomorrow? :thu:

When it gets to this point in the year, I wonder what use it is trying to win games other than for the pride of the team.

I'd say the Caps have a good shot to win whether we wanted them to or not. We'll see...

- Jeff

- and Gilmour's back with the leafs. Although he's now 39 and in his last year, the leafs (and their fans) just got a little bit harder to face. The leafs seem determined to push for the cup this year, but even if they make it through the east, i can't see them toppling a team like Detroit or Colorado for the cup.

Should be great playoff hockey though, eh?

"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." - Butthole Surfers

Flyscots

The Flyers beat Carolina last night 5-3 with the two new guys in the lineup.Fly, you dont know how good it feels to have Johnny Leclair back hangin out around the net. Tony Almonte made his debut last night with a goal and an assist playing on JR's line.

GO FLYGUYS

Peace

Rob :thu:

Not a good effort against the Kings last night. I gotta admit, LA did not play like a team who had nothing to play for. They flat out beat us in every way. Back into second place in the "mighty" SE division. The Avs tomorrow and a long road trip after that. And the friggin' Bolts just keep winning. Not good...
None more black.

Yeah Rob, that Flyers Carolina game was a real biggie. Amonte scoring on his debut & LeClair scoring on his return, fantastic scenario.

Everyone is talking about how good the Leafs' deals were, but after LeClair missing almost 50 games, his return to the team is as good as a new aquisition. He was outstanding at the start of the season. I said in a previous hockey thread that when he is scoring the Flyers can be unstoppable - if they dont stop LeClair he'll punish them, if they do, someone else is left free to score. That said, I still hope Philly can catch NJ and avoid Toronto in the 1st round.

Rog, I saw the Avs game, your Caps looked pretty good. You could see how much it meant to them to win that game. When's Jagr expected to be back?

Jeff, thanks for posting from Sports Illustrated & for the Trade Central link - thats what I'd been using to keep tabs on it all.

Also saw the first half of the Minnesota-Dallas game on Wednesday. I'm still gonna talk up the Wild (despite the big Columbus loss) They totally out played Dallas, really made the Stars look average, that takes some doing. How about Detroit peaking at the right time of year, yet again. Playoffs Western style are going to be fantastic!

John Scotsman

>>>Rog, I saw the Avs game, your Caps looked pretty good. You could see how much it meant to them to win that game. When's Jagr expected to be back?<<<

John, yeah...that was a very fun game to watch. It was obvious that they wanted it badly. They were so flat on Friday against the Kings that I didn't know what to expect. I hadn't seen too much of Berezin until now and I must say that he might be more what the Caps need than I originally thought. He goes to the net and he actually shoots a lot...two things that not many of the Cap's forwards have been doing. Making pretty 4-way passing plays is great when the puck ends up in the net, but it's SO frustrating when it doesn't! The Caps now have to face all the Canadian clubs on the next road trip. And I get to stay up late to watch the games out west...I sure hope they don't expect me to get too much done at work over the next two weeks!!! :)

Jagr was medically cleared to play the Avs game but he's still feeling some pain. I expect he'll play at Calgary Thursday though...

None more black.

The Flyers play the Devils tonight.They have not beaten them this season(0-3).I think that will change tonight.With a win tonight they will be tied for second in the Eastern Conference.

I really don't want to see the Leafs in first round :D

Peace

Rog, thats why I wanted Berezin at the Flyers. Cant believe you got him for a 4th rounder. Clarke would probably have given up a player and a 1st rounder to get him!

Originally posted by Rob,

March 7th: I can't wait;the Flyers and Leafs in the first round.

March 17th: I really don't want to see the Leafs in first round

Did the trades change your mind Rob? I didnt want to face the Leafs from the start. With LeClair back and Amonte added I think the potential Leaf-Flyer match-up is just as tight today as it was prior to the trades.

Originally posted by Rob,

March 7th: I can't wait;the Flyers and Leafs in the first round.

March 17th: I really don't want to see the Leafs in first round

------------------------------------------------------------------------

John

That's my Philly humor.I bleed orange and black. :D .With the win last night against NJ I think the Flyers are poised to make a run for the cup.

Peace

Flyers 4 Devs 2

Absolutely fantastic. A major psychological victory aswell coz thats the Flyers first win in NJ in 15 attempts. 3 points from Kapanen & another goal from Amonte. Morale must be sky high on Broad Street, they are hitting form at just the right time. Lets hope it contiues.

How about Todd Bertuzzi last night! Anyoune see the game? (Vancouver 4 Dallas 3) SFOracle?

How about Todd Bertuzzi last night! Anyoune see the game? (Vancouver 4 Dallas 3) SFOracle?

The game started out pretty slow for the Canucks, but they exploded in the second period. Bertuzzi got 2 goals by parking himself in front of the net and the third on a breakaway. The Stars got a late one to make it close, but Bertuzzi stole the game.

Best quote of the game was a reported quip that newly acquired Brad May apparently made that he couldn't face Don Cherry now because he got knocked out by a Swede (Mats Naslund on a clean open ice hit in the Toronto game).

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Thanks man, wish I could've seen it.

Flyers 2 Sabres 5.

Devils 1 Habs 0.

Well, what happened there?! Those 2 points so hard fought for, so crucial, so well deserved, won against the best team in the East (yep, NJ are better than Ottawa in my opinion) Those same 2 points thrown away against the worst team in the East. At the same time the Devils win them back against Les Habs. Terrible.

Oh well, roll on Toronto

Despite the fact that my team can't buy a win, I really like our new trade acquisition Sean Avery. Tough little guy who can run an offense! Kings will have way more depth next year (providing that injuries don't kill us again).

- Jeff

John

The Flyers looked flat last night and the Sabres didn't.I give the Sabres alot of credit for standing the Flyers up at the blue line,plus Robert Esche looked really rusty in net.I'm sure Ken Hitchcock had a nice long talk with the boys after the game.

Peace

Argh!!

Didn't see the game, but the Canucks gave up a 3rd period lead and basically got out muscled by the Blues last night. At least they are still 5 points up on the Avalanch, but catching Detroit and holding off Dallas is looking less likely.

Cloutier's first game back and he got shelled with 32 shots.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

How'd this thread sneak off the front page at THIS time of year???!!! :D

Big weekend coming up. By next week, the playoff picture should start to become clear I think. Who's gonna get left out in the east?

None more black.

Sorry, been busy. Just caught up with this week's results. Glad to see Amonte & LeClair still scoring.

Rog, I said before I dont think the top 8 will change in either conference. OK mathematics disagree but I say there is absolutely no way the current 16 teams in playoff positions will be caught.

Lets talk potential match-ups. Who d'ya wanna see battle it out early. I really hope we have a Dallas-Minnesota 1st round, so hopefully Vancouver catch Dallas. The Wild have proved twice recently that they can beat the Stars, but Dallas will be ready next time. This could be the upset I've been talking about. I also hope we get Detroit vs Colorado at some point. Love those match-ups.

I suppose I may aswell stick my neck out and predict the West, based on my hopes:

1.Detroit

2.Vancouver

3.Dallas

4.Colorado

5.St Louis

6.Minnesota

7.Anaheim

8.Edmonton

1st round:

Detroit in 4 games, Vancouver in 4, Minnesota in 7, Colorado in 6.

2nd round:

Detroit beat Minnesota in 5

Colorado beat Vancouver in 7

Conference final:

Detroit in 7

Now, knowing this game, I'm sure to be wrong, but at least it gives us something to go by.

Anyone wanna try it for the East?

>>>I really hope we have a Dallas-Minnesota 1st round, so hopefully Vancouver catch Dallas. The Wild have proved twice recently that they can beat the Stars, but Dallas will be ready next time<<<

That would be a great series! Never noticed that possibility before. Imagine how sweet it'd be for the Minnesota fans...for their "new" team get a shot at their "old" team. That's the type of thing movies are made about!
None more black.

ill give it a shot,

1.Ottawa

2.New Jersey

3.TampaBay

4.Toronto

5.FLYERS

6.Washington

7.Boston

8.Montreal

1st Round:

Montreal in 6,

New Jersey in 4,

Tampa Bay in 7,

Toronto in 7.

2nd Round:

New Jersey in 6,

Toronto in 6.

3rd Round:

Toronto in 7.

Stnaley Cup:

Vancouver in 7.

I am not Rob but Chris Robs son,peace :thu:

whoohoo Noizeboiz - go Canucks.

Okay - so who is the most dominating player in the league right now? Mario? Nope. Thornton? Nope. Marcus Naslund? Nope, but getting close.

I watched the Canucks and Capitals last night and I have to say, Bertuzzi is scary good. 250lbs, 6-2 he skates like the wind, and has a wrist shot that rivals Brett Hull's. He is virtually impossible to move from the front of the net - and he loves to play there. He's like Messier in his prime, but bigger (and a winger not a center). If he is not the most dominating player in the league, he certainly warrants consideration.

Archived