Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you ready for some HOCKEY

Fat Chance

I just thought you guys would like to know that the Avs beat the Wings in Detroit last night. Shut 'em out, too.

Patty Roy is playing ok now, too, I guess. Let's see last night's shutout makes three out of the last five. Hmmm, I think that's fairly good, yes? :evil:

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Postman:

Patty Roy is playing ok now, too, I guess. Let's see last night's shutout makes three out of the last five. Hmmm, I think that's fairly good, yes? :evil:

Yeah, Roy seem to have climbed out of his slump.

Damnit. :freak:;)

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

I'm saying it now: the Senators are going all the way this year. Whether they can beat Dallas in the Cup remains to be seen.

And...I've pretty much written my poor Kings off. I've never done that this early in the season before. :(

- Jeff

I hate to say it but Jeff is right about the Kings. At least the basketball people won't be able to throw the Lakers in our face this year. :eek: Baseball threads anyone?

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Yeah, Roy seem to have climbed out of his slump.

Damnit. :freak:;)

- Jeff

You know, Jeff, you do seem to have a certain remarkable "glow" about you these days, even for a weasel. Are you on a diet or something? Will you share?

Anybody see the game 2nd game between Colorado and Detroit? One of the best i've seen in a while. I can only imagine what kind of series it would (or will) be in the playoffs. Roy was spectacular. 1000 games and he's still one of the best.

Kwiks

"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." - Butthole Surfers

We're sinking again!

Originally posted by Kwiks:

Anybody see the game 2nd game between Colorado and Detroit? One of the best i've seen in a while. I can only imagine what kind of series it would (or will) be in the playoffs.

I only got to see highlights but both those games looked outstanding. I'm loving Forsberg & Hejduk at the moment.

Wodya'll think of the Kovalev deal? Its bad news for the Pens. Who's gonna show up for them next time Lemieux gets hurt? I dunno what the Rangers are thinking. Its DEfense they need. Maybe they are planning to win games 6-5 from now on. I think they need to play .800 hockey to make the playoffs, I cant see it happening. Its a shame Bure's been injured, I wonder how they'd be doing if he wasnt.

We got to see Minnesota play against the Devils on Sunday (2-3) then the Flyers on Wed (2-0.) My god that is a well organized team. Jacques Lemaire is doing a fantastic job. He outclassed the Flyers and was unlucky against a very strong NJ team. They could maybe cause a 1st round playoff upset and are definately a team to watch in the future.

As for the Flyers...nothing...need LeClair, Gagne & Williams back ASAP. Shut-out in 4 of the last 8 games. Thats appauling. Just like Scotland's national football (soccer) team.

John Scotsman

My Kings, for no apparent reason, have dragged their asses out of the gutter. Since I was expecting to pretty much lose every game for the remainder of this season, every win feels preety good. :)

Pacific Division Standings: 2/14/03

DALLAS.........33/11/12/1 (79 pts.)

ANAHEIM........26/19/7/4 (63 pts.)

LOS ANGELES....24/25/4/4 (56 pts.)

SAN JOSE.......20/25/6/5 (51 pts.)

PHOENIX........19/25/7/4 (49 pts.)

We've won five of our last six games. Perhaps I gave up hope a little too early! :)

- Jeff

The Kovalev trade has gotta be about as big of a waste as the Jagr trade was. The Rangers pretty much bought Kovalev from Pittsburgh, who just seem content in taking money. I think the Pens must really be reconsidering now, especially after Kovalev scored the only goal in a 1-0 victory over the Pens last night.

Kwiks

"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." - Butthole Surfers

Originally posted by Joe Tee:

Anybody know if the Blues can pick up a goal keeper on e-bay? :eek:

Even if they could they'd soon change their mind about him/her and go back to Johnson with FreddyB as the back-up.

hmm...I wonder if out of contract players without a club to play for could actually sell themselves on e-bay ?!?

I've seen some Scottish lower league football (soccer) players advertise themselves in newspapers.

If the playoffs were starting today, my Kings would still be in 9th place in the West, and would sit home until next season.

We need to gain some ground NOW and hang on for dear life. 3-4 solid wins in a row (and some well-timed losses for the other Western teams) would be good.

- Jeff

Yeah and if the Playoffs started today the Flyers would be out in the first round AGAIN! At least the major slump started earlier this season and should be over by playoff time.

Originally posted by noizboyz Anybody know where the Flyers can pickup a couple of snipers cheap???
Yeah, there's one super sniper lying at home resting - something he should've been doing all summer.

John LeClair (LW) -Has missed the last 36 games due to a dislocated right shoulder ...Underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum on Dec. 4...Will be out of action for 10 to 12 weeks.
Flyers e-mails news has been saying 10-12 weeks for about 10-12 weeks. What is going on. We need you Johnny!

I don't know...but you're not getting Palffy! :)

Dont be silly! There's very little chance of Booby Clarke signing up a good player who would make a positive difference to the team.

I half withdraw this comment thinking of JR, Brashear & Handzus - but cant forget the numerous meaningless deals he has made in the past.

"Dont be silly! There's very little chance of Booby Clarke signing up a good player who would make a positive difference to the team."

I couldn't agree with you more flyscots,Bobby Clarke is a fuckin moron.Clarke's nose is so far up Ed Synder's ass it's silly.

Rob

Flyers 5 - Kings 0! (sorry Jeff)

Flyers finally remember how to score.

I didnt realize the Kings were STILL riddled with injuries. Remember I mentioned the Flyers e-mails I get - it had listed injuries for 7 Kings starters. Thats gotta hurt, especially with Allison, how many games has he actually played this year?

3-0 down, Goalie pulled with 11 minutes to go!? I like the ambitiousness and from what I read it nearly worked, if it wasnt for Cechmanek (now 3rd all time in shut-outs as a Flyer)

Did you watch the game Jeff? How ma boys looking?

John Scotsman

Originally posted by noizboyz@bellatlantic.net:

Anybody know where the Flyers can pickup a couple of snipers cheap???

Rob, how about Sergei Berezin? Things arent working for him at Chicago at the moment (healthy scratch yesterday) Maybe a change will do him good and the Flyers could do with his speed. Not exactly a sniper but I hated him when he was with the Leafs - coz he was good!

John Scotsman

Originally posted by flyscots:

I didnt realize the Kings were STILL riddled with injuries.

Since about three weeks into the season, we haven't had a healthy team. I just come to accept it.

We lost to Detrroit last night, but it was a hard-fought 5-4 road loss, so I can accept that. We're playing the Pens right now...as I write, it's the end of the first and we're down 2-1. :(

Again, I'm amazed anytime the Kings win this year.

- Jeff

Kings 5 Penguins 3 - well done Ziggy & Smolinski.

Jeff I dunno what the run in is like in terms of opposition but i have a suspicion your guys might just make it into the playoffs.

Flyers 2 Blackhawks 0 - Berezin played but only had one shot. Knowing BOOby Clarke he's more likely to sign Theo Fleury.

Here's a tasty rumour for ya Rob. Jerome Iginla! Flyers would have to cough up big to get him but that would be a great signing! He knows how to score, he's got the speed, he's young and to keep Clarke happy he's big & strong.

Who Knows?!

Originally posted by flyscots:

Kings 5 Penguins 3 - well done Ziggy & Smolinski.

Yes, a nice win. :) Finally, Smolinski is doing his job again.

Jeff I dunno what the run in is like in terms of opposition but i have a suspicion your guys might just make it into the playoffs.
Yes, my feeling is that the Kings will squeak into the playoffs, but in 7th or 8th seed at best, meaning we'd be taking on someone like Dallas in the first round. Uh-oh.

Jerome Iginla! Flyers would have to cough up big to get him but that would be a great signing! He knows how to score, he's got the speed, he's young and to keep Clarke happy he's big & strong.
Flyers would love to get Iginla, but I'm sure that Calgary isn't anxious to let him go...we'll see!

- Jeff

Flyers would love to get Iginla, but I'm sure that Calgary isn't anxious to let him go...we'll see!

Of course not, he's not wanting to move either apparently, but his salary is $7.5m US and we know how financially challenged the Canadian teams are (except Toronto) Plus, remember Bobby Clarke is quite stupid, if an offer is made he's likely to give up far too much potential talent and it could be too much for a struggling team like Calgary to refuse.

On a fun note - from the Flames website:

Harvey the Hound wants you to help lay a licking on the Edmonton Oilers on March 11. You can pick up your rally tongue for $2 at any Petland store with the donation going to the Pets for Life Foundation
Nice nod to the tongue pulling incident a few weeks back, what a sport! :D

Thanks for inviting me over John!

I've been a big Caps fan since the early '80s and my heart has slowly shriveled into a tiny lump of coal. ;) Since the league was restructured, following this team has been, I dunno, "different" somehow. It was so much fun with all the old Patrick Division rivalries. Now we're slugging it out with the Bolts?! :eek: Gotta give Tampa their props, though: they're playing well and they're making every game count in the "mighty" SE division! Got a big one tonight agains the bottom-feeding Sabres. They always play well against us...

Speaking of snipers, the rumors are flying around DC that Bondra might be traded. At least they were before he finally got a goal Monday. This would make me very sad as he accounts for about half of what little heart we still have on this team. I seriously doubt he'd ever go to Philly though...too much chance of him burning us later on. Besides, Bobby Clarke is probably a little gun shy after having gotten bent over by GMGM last year in the Oates deal! :thu:

Anyway, let's try to keep this thread alive!!!

GO CAPS!!!

None more black.

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumor has it that Calgary wants Simon Gagne and Justin Williams for Iginla.I know Clarke's stupid but I don't he's that stupid

Rob

HE BETTER PHUKKING NOT BE!!! I could handle giving up Williams & someone like Somik but Gagne is a major cog in the future of the Flyers.

Originally posted by rog951:

Thanks for inviting me over John!

Gotta give Tampa their props, though: they're playing well and they're making every game count

No probs Rog, good to have ya here! Where'd all the rest of the hockey fans go? There was almost a full page before I got involved in this one. Ah, maybe its my fault! Maybe I scared 'em off by asking questions & opinons!

Totally agree about Tampa. Who would've thought they'd be the last team to loose a game this season. Glad to see it wasnt just a fluke and they've played well most of the year.

Get to see your guys tonight Rog. Caps vs Sabres, live in Scotland! A couple of weeks ago I thought Jagr hitting form was bringing the Caps up to their best. We'll see what I think after tonights game (if I can stay awake for ir all, +5hr time difference)

John Scotsman

Possible "rent a player" trade bait from non-playoff bound teams:

Ray Whitney - Columbus

Geof Sanderson - Columbus

Brian Smolinsky - LA

Ziggy Palffy - LA

Aaron Miller - LA

Dimitry Yushkevish - LA

Chris Gratton - Buf

Jarome Iginla - Cal

Owen Nolan - San Jose

Any of these players have the ability to make a difference on a team looking for the right component for a playoff drive.

My bet is that my Canucks stand pat. Trevor Linden has rejuvinated his career this season in Vancouver. The knock on the Canucks at the beginning of the season was questionable goaltending and a lack of secondary scoring behind the Naslund, Morrison, Bertuzzi line (particularly after not signing Andrew Cassels). Dan Cloutier has been outstanding this year - but suffered another knee injury this week, and pairing Trevor Linden with the Sedin twins has provided the secondary scoring the Canucks lacked.

Currently on a 14 game unbeaten streak, and within 1 point of conference leading Dallas, I don't think anyone wants to see them in the first round of the playoffs.

Colorado has come back from the dead along with Patrick Roy. The Avalanche are on a bit of a tear of their own, with Vancouver and NYI representing their only 2 losses in the last 17 games (with only 2 ties). But 8 points is a lot to overcome with 20 games remaining. If Vancouver goes .500 down the stretch, Colorado has to win 14 of 20 to win the division (with no games remaining against the Canucks).

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Originally posted by SFOracle:

Possible "rent a player" trade bait from non-playoff bound teams

WHOA! Hold your horses there, cowboy. The Kings are in 9th place in the West, and only five points out of 8th for a playoff spot. We play Edmonton a couple of times yet this year and will likely beat them...we are not out of playoff contention entirely by any means. And keep your grubby paws off Palffy and Miller...though, maybe we can talk about Smolinski. ;)

Vancouver looks frighteningly good right now.

- Jeff

Archived