Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chord Suggestions?

shniggens

Writers block.

I am working on a song with my band that uses this basic chord progression for the verse:

G . . . F . . . Bb . . .G . . .

/ / / / |/ / / /|/ / / /|/ / / /| - Verse

This is the progression for 1 phrase. We play 4 phrases before going into the chorus:

C . . . D . . . G . D/F# Em

/ / / / |/ / / /|/ / / /|/ / / /| - Chorus

I like both progressions, but I don't like the way the verse abruptly jumps into the chorus. Although I know that going from G to C is a natural movement, I would like to go somewhere else on that last measure before the chorus. Any suggestions?

This is a pretty up beat rock song.

Thanks.

Amateur Hack

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An obvious and cliche way to get to the c without just jumping there might be on the and of 2 Amin on the and of 3 G/B to C on 1 on the first bar of the chorus. There are many ways to get there, this is just one of them.

You could try using the enharmonic minor on the last passage before you go to C. play 2 beats of G, then 2 of Am, and then go to the C. It will kind ofset up the next section, and at the same time advertise that you're going sonewhere else.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

You could add a little more emphasis to the C chord at the beginning of the chorus by preceeding it with a G7 (the V7 of C).

ie.

G . . . F . . . Bb . . .G . G7 .

/ / / / |/ / / /|/ / / /|/ / / /| - Verse

C . . . D . . . G . D/F# Em

/ / / / |/ / / /|/ / / /|/ / / /| - Chorus

1) Rapid fire alternate between G and C a few times before going into the chorus. GC, GCG, CGC, for example.

2) Or do the same with Eminor. FOr example, GEm, GEmC, CEmC.

I find that the rapid fire alternate stuff prepare the ears for the change in tonality without your having to use a heavy handed progression.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Archived