Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

General Music Keyboards

John_dup4

I was in checking out a couple models of these keyboards, the Pro2, Pro and a couple other models. While I liked several of the sounds, I don't know anything about the manufacturer. Anybody have one of the keyboards? what do you like/dislike?
John

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Generalmusic PRO 1 that I've been using for about 2 years. I used to really like the piano sounds until my recent purchase af a Yamaha S90. I think the piano sounds in the Yamaha pretty much blow away the Generalmusic stuff. However I like the physical modeling of string resonance in the General- I just don't think the base piano sample is full enough. I REALLY don't like the power supply- line lump w/a VERY small and FRAGILE wire connecting to the keyboard- I'm on my second one of these. I've also had problems w/ all the connections on the rear- outputs, sustain pedal, intermittantly not working correctly so I'm not really sure it's the most gig worthy board out there (I try to treat my stuff gently when moving and I still have had more problems with the PRO 1 than with anything else I've owned in recent memory) In fact my purchase of the S90 was driven in part by the fact that I just got tired of stuff not working on the General. YMMV

Bob Green

Area 51 Recording Studio

Yamaha is Japanese, GEM is Italian, AFAIK. Hence the difference in reliability (don't feel offended, Marino and other Italian cats out there but that's my experience with Japanese and Italian cars...).

I'd love to check out that ProMega3.

Soulstars

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

The Gem S3 Turbo was one VERY cool rack module. I still want to get my hands on one of those.

In fact, I think dB has one, so maybe he'll chime in here.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

The wall wart was one of the first things that struck me looking at the "Pro" models. I've been rolling on some Roland models with built in power supplies. The wall wart reminded me of some discount store model. Thanks for the comments on the ports on the back.
John

Archived