Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mars is done - now where?

mildbill

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to their web site yesterday to see what was up. I got redirected to MusiciansFriend. MusiciansFriend is cool. I haven't got a bum deal from them yet. And their prices are pretty good. Mostly main stream stuff. They claim a 45 day return policy. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by mildbill:

recently, i've gotten most of my good deals at marsmusic. i called there yesterday, and they're closed.

where do you people suggest looking for good deals?

Sweetwater

AudioMIDI.com

West L.A. Music (westlamusic.com)

Originally posted by Valkyrie Sound:

www.americanmusical.com

I like their payment plans...

Valky

Yes. Same here. I also use SamAsh online some because I have their card. They usually have 12 months no interrest and free shipping. My rule is I get to buy one item, and I cannot buy anything else until that item is paid off. Sam Ash tends to mess up my orders but they always fix it quick. I never had a problem with an order from Americanmusical.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

(1) Sweetwater - Establish a relationship with a salesperson. If you don't like they guy they assign to you, ask (POLITELY) whether you can work with someone else.

(2) local stores that have good prices and service - Seek them out. There may not be a good retailer in your town, but there's bound to be one or a few in your region. I don't know about you, but for instruments like guitars and basses where no two models are the same, I prefer a store where I can check out each model first hand.

I haven't been pleased with retailers whose names rhyme with Sham Cash and Obstetricians' Trend.

;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I bought an Alesis DG8 from Zzounds back when they were clearing them out for half price. Unfortunately it arrived broken, but the return process was very easy considering the price and physical size of the purchase. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again, I just wouldn't mail order another weighted keyboard ;)

Originally posted by Dana

This is a great store.

Search for Chuck Levins Washington Music Center.

I've posted this one before, but I'm still amazed that a store can last as long as this one has. They're definitely doing something right. :thu: I bought my first two keyboard setups (RMI Lark with Vox Kensington Bass Amp and Farfisa Fast Five with Leslie) from Chuck Levins in the 60s. I can't count the times my friends and I would skip school to go drool over their massive inventory.

i've considered Sweetwater several times. i just recieved their 2003 catalog today, and have had salesmen call in the past.

they always show MSRP's, so i've never ordered anything from them and was rude enough to not take their calls (sorry sweetwater salespeople).

when you do an actual deal, do you have to order a lot to get a decent deal?

someone mentioned a store in kenosha, WI;

i checked their web site and compared to what i've been paying, their prices suck.

i've done business with mars, nova musik, kraft music, uncle bob's and interstate music supply, but none of these others even comes close to some of the deals i got at mars - i'm sure going to miss them and i hope it's not too long before someone comes in to fill the gap.

to show you what i'm looking for (i've gotten spoiled, i know), here are what i consider to be the 3 best deals i got from them: (all new - prices in US dollars).

expanded 18 voice korg Z1 - $650

roland xv5080 - $1250

and korg triton rack - $1050

can any of the stores you've all mentioned get near these prices?

also, yes, i know price isn't everything - there's also service, shipping, location, the knowledge and courtesy of the salespeople, etc., etc.,.

but when it comes down to the bottom line, a great price will bring you back for more.

Originally posted by mildbill:

someone mentioned a store in kenosha, WI;

i checked their web site and compared to what i've been paying, their prices suck.

Sure--on the web site the prices suck. But do yourself a favor. Call Tommy. Tell him what you're shopping for and let him quote you a price. You'll be amazed. And I, too, like Chuck Levin's. almost took a job there in the early 80s.

There's more to buying musical instruments than just looking up prices on Musician's Friend. You gotta hunt for both a dealer and a deal. It's always been this way.

K.

ksoper: don't take it personal - i'm sure they're a good store with good people and if i took the time to get things going with them, i'd probably be satisfied.

i know a lot of people didn't like mars, but they treated me good, a couple people always knew what they were talking about and a few went the extra mile for me. i just suspect it may take a while to find that again with a new place.

Mildbill,

I've had good luck with Grandmas Music in Albuquerque, NM. Grandmas.com is their web address. I've dealt with Matt there and have always gotten supurb pricing and even better customer service. Tell him you're a friend of mine if you wish.

Rick

Archived