Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Electro 2 Acoustic Piano sound`

fundikira

Hey

I know the acoustic piano sample on the Nord Electro 2 is supposed to be better than the one on the original Nord Electro, but does it compare with other synths in terms of piano sounds? How does it compare with the S80, the Roland synths, other synths with good rhodes samples, etc.

Thanks for your help

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The acoustic piano sound on the Electro isn't all that gig worthy, Clavia classifies it as a bonus sound. I don't mind though, I love the Electro and it's a nice throw-in for rehearsals where you aren't too picky about the sound (only one board)

It's not godawful or anything but it doesn't approach the clav, rhodes, wurly and organ

I still love it though, i take the acoustic piano sound for what it is (just an add-on bonus)

fwiw I prefer the organ sound to everything but the B4 and software isn't practical for me

The acoustic piano sound is barely worth mentioning. I would not gig with it. Clavia needs to rectify this with a better sound. Even the Korg M1s piano sound would be better than this.

The original Electro piano is actually better than the new "stereo Malmsjo" sound, which is very boxy and compressed sounding.

The problem is, neither sound has any kind of sustain to it, the velocity sensitivity is crummy and the sound is inconsistent from octave to octave. As a "bonus" sound it is ok, but it could be a whole lot better.

Regards,

Eric

So if you were to do a lot of playing using piano, rhodes and whurly, and a bit of playing with clavinet and organ, would you still recommend the Electro?

Would you recommend the Kurzweil Micropiano or E-Mu 9102 Midi piano module for use with the electro, for a better piano sound?

I use my Electro 90% as a Hammond organ clone. I may use the clav and Wurly sounds a little bit, and the Rhodes even less. I don't touch the acoustic piano. I use a Roland RD600 for piano. It's an oldie but a goodie, in terms of keyboard action and sounds.

The Electro is great for an all-in-one rehearsal and small gig board, but the acoustic piano is indeed lame. I use the Wurly sound instead of acoustic piano when playing it alone.

It's a cool niche keyboard with the high point being the organ modeling section. I view the other onboard sounds as conveniences. It is nice to have all of that in a 20 lb package with a great 73 note semi-weighted keyboard action. The action is really good, IMHO.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by fundikira:

So if you were to do a lot of playing using piano, rhodes and whurly, and a bit of playing with clavinet and organ, would you still recommend the Electro?

Would you recommend the Kurzweil Micropiano or E-Mu 9102 Midi piano module for use with the electro, for a better piano sound?

I would recommend the Kurzweil ME1 Micro Ensemble. I have been playing one for a few months now and the piano sounds are worth the price alone (besides all the other sounds). They are very natural sounding along with having some that are bright and dynamic enough to be heard during a gig.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Archived