Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicians and mental illness-good read

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The article on Acquired Situational Narcissism was a real eye-opener. Sounds like the recent guitar forum troll. That said, 20% of the population will suffer a bout with SOME mental illness at some time in their lives. Musicians, particularly the popular ones, are under a microscope. Add to that the fact that the public pays the most attention to the most outrageous performers. Is there any scientific evidence that musicians have higher rates of mental problems than the population at large. I've SEEN the population at large. It can be scary.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

All musicians are crazy, didnt you know that? No, we are NOT all crazy!!! We are all Bralalalala!!!! Soon, the world will come to see our brilliance, and all the negative jealous things will cease to function. The world will be our Bralalalala refuge from the madness that is corporate evil. The lawyers and policemen who are all bad will see the way of our Bralalalalalliance, and they will pray to us with heavy metal respect and honor, and they will see that men who wear dresses and play guitar are the only true Bralalalala. Then, Bralalalalala will have his revenge, and we, the followers of Bralalalalala will RULE THE UNIVERSE in fine heavy metal God fashion, and we will be free to riff in a skirt. But WE ARE NOT CRAZY! You're the one who's crazy!!! All I wanted was a Pepsi!!!! :freak:

I have read studies that link creativity to MH. I've also had friens point this out. Not sure what they were trying to say. One pointed me to my current job. I'm a MIS Director for a reagonal MH/MR/SA center. At least once a week someone tells me I need to go downstairs and visit the doctor. I assume they are kidding. Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b]All musicians are crazy, didnt you know that? :freak: [/b][/quote]We are not crazy! Now, excuse me, some fellow called "Wellington" is challenging me to meet him at some place called Watervliet...uh, Waterford...uh...Water something... VIVE LA FRANCE!!!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b]All musicians are crazy, didnt you know that? No, we are NOT all crazy!!! We are all Bralalalala!!!! Soon, the world will come to see our brilliance, and all the negative jealous things will cease to function. The world will be our Bralalalala refuge from the madness that is corporate evil. The lawyers and policemen who are all bad will see the way of our Bralalalalalliance, and they will pray to us with heavy metal respect and honor, and they will see that men who wear dresses and play guitar are the only true Bralalalala. Then, Bralalalalala will have his revenge, and we, the followers of Bralalalalala will RULE THE UNIVERSE in fine heavy metal God fashion, and we will be free to riff in a skirt. But WE ARE NOT CRAZY! You're the one who's crazy!!! All I wanted was a Pepsi!!!! :freak: [/b][/quote]Dude, that's freakin' scary. :eek: Next time please channel someone who is not insane.
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Mental illness is a term that has been used to canopy all the extremes from simple, harmless phobias, to foaming-at-the-mouth lunacy. Sort of like the "criminal sexual conduct" charge here in Michigan. But not all "mental illness" is terminal. Help can be had in the containmant and elimination of mental disorders. Take MY case, for example. There was a time when I was terrified of the telephone. Whenever it rang, I would run and hide, scared to death of answering it. But after years of therapy, and working diligently through my fear, I can happily claim to be cured of this irrational phobia. Now, I answer the phone whether it rings or not! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote] There was a time when I was terrified of the telephone. Whenever it rang, I would run and hide, scared to death of answering it. But after years of therapy, and working diligently through my fear, I can happily claim to be cured of this irrational phobia. [/quote]Just curious, what were you afraid of?

Archived