Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender keyboard amp + triton

Kwiks

recently bought the 200 watt fender keyboard amp with SFX (really nice). Sounds fabulous at low volumes, but when i crank it to about 8 (of 10) on channel and master volumes to compete with band, i notice that the piano sounds in particular sound "plonky" - too bassy in some kind of weird way. Is there anyway to get around this? I've tried various things, (eq, damper effect etc.) but nothing seems to get me the sound I get at lower volumes. Anyone got a clue?
"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." - Butthole Surfers

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can still return it, you might be better off with some monitors. Where did you buy the amp?

I'm also a Triton guy.. which piano sound are you using? The stock ones are shit. One of the piano sounds from the irishacts Triton site might not have the plonky quality you're talking about.

www.irishacts.com

Chris

hi chris,

i have a similar problem with the Roland KC 500. I want to get rid of the KC 500 because a) sound is great live and b) its so f***ing heavy!!!

I was thinking about monitors but dont know much about them.

you use them for live playing? Is this purely as fold back? I am assuming that this set up would entail connecting the keyboard to the monitors...monitors in the the DI and PA...is that correct?

sorry my questions are a bit silly...i am very inexperienced when it comes to playing keys live.

thanks Chris (Go leafs!)

i don't want to give up hope on the fender amp yet, seeing as it's just the piano sounds that suck at high volume. Checked out the Irishacts site, any banks in particular for piano samples?

Thanks

Kwiks

"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." - Butthole Surfers

hey Kwiks, leafs forever! :D

Try the EXB-PCM08 file, near the bottom of the download page. It's a bank of about 30 piano programs. There is one called C. Grand Piano, and a Jazz Grand piano which are very good. I found that the only problem with these was a little overkill with the reverb, but all you have to do is turn down knob 4 a little to remove it. Tell me how these sound through your amp compared to the stock piano.

Chris

hey chris,

don't i need the concert grand expression board to use these sounds? haven't tried it yet

Kwiks

You don't need the expansion board for these sounds. The PCG is originally from the expansion set, but the programs have been re-mapped to use the internal piano samples. It doesn't sound quite as good as the piano expansion, but it's still an improvement over the stock programs.

Chris

Archived