Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A silly question about GigaStudio

schmoron13

So I wanna use GigaStudio (havn't decided which one yet) for film scoring, and some commercial work, and maybe even use samples from online sources, such as wizoosounds, etc...

my question is: do these samplers play pre-recorded phrases, or can I input the notes?...if yes, are they solely midi or can I record them as audio (maybe bounce the tracks in Sonar 2xl as an audio track..

I have a degree in theory and composition but only got into the technical realm fairly recently and never really got this portion of the industry...do softsamplers like Giga work like a module (triton rack for example) or are they sampled phrases that I paste together in Acid, etc....

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a sampler, so it depends what samples you load. You can load a 1GB piano sample and play it like a piano from a MIDI controller. Or you can buy a library of orchestral sweeps and phrases and incorporate those into your composition. I'm not sure if you can capture the output as an audio file within Gigastudio, but it shouldn't be hard to do with other software running on the computer. Think of it as a really big soft-synth.

Most of the time, when you're talking about string and orchestral libraries for Giga (or any sampler) your dealing with individual note samples of orchestral instruments/ensembles which you then play to create your music.

There are a few libraries of pre-recorded orchestral segments (loops) which you can use in your music and manipulate to your liking. The ones I'm familiar with are Orchestral Colors and Scoring Tools available at soundsonline and ACID Orchestral Loops .

Creating convincing orchestral music using individual note samples is challenging. Using loops sounds more authentic, but is very limiting.

Busch.

I just realized another concern....

If I get Giga 160, where do I install it? I have a p4 2.2khz with 512mb ddr ram, and a single 80 gb hd with 8 partitions (love cleanliness)...one of my partitions is for samples, and though I only have shareware at the moment, I allocated 25bg for it (ambitious, ain't I :D ) I also have a partition just for system files (win 2k pro) and programs (assorted graphics and music one)...my question is as follows:

using Sonar 2xl, do I need to buy a seperate HD (maybe on a removable drive bay?) just for giga, or can I install it with my other programs, or do I need to install it in the samples partition? ...

in the case that I can install it in the samples parition, will I have conflicts if other samples are stored there?

Lastly, I just read an article in Emusician that mentioned that you really need a seperate computer just for Giga? is that true and if so, how would you patch the two computers together without significant lag? just curious so I don't waste a ton of cash buying giga only to find out it's "useless".....

GS works best on a seperate computer patched by MIDI. Then you record the parts either from the output of the soundcard, or record directly to HD and then pull that sound file into your sequencer as an audio track. Some people are successful running GS on the same computer as the sequencer but the samples need to be on a seperate HD, and that HD needs to have its own IDE channel.

I run GS160 on a seperate computer. A PIII with lots of memory and a SCSI drive for the samples. The MIDI signal runs from my MIDI patch bay so I can drive it either from Sonar on my primary computer, or directly from my keyboards. The output from my M Audiophile 24/96 sound card goes to my mixer but frequently I capture the output from GS directly to HD. That file can then be transferred to the other computer and pulled into Sonar II as an audio track. For me, what works best is to write parts using another sound source, then farm some parts over to GigaStudio to improve the quality of the faked instruments. That way I don't have to worry about the differences in latency between my hardware keyboards, DXi and VSTi synths and samplers withing Sonar II, and GigaStudio.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

GS works best on a seperate computer patched by MIDI.Some people are successful running GS on the same computer as the sequencer but the samples need to be on a seperate HD, and that HD needs to have its own IDE channel.

Robert

Not true. I have Gigasampler running with VST32 on the same computer, and only 1 HD (Dell Dimension PIII600,256ram). It's possible. That said, for sure things will run smoother if the two elements are separate.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by bond1:

I also have Gigastudio on the same computer as Sonar XL, one hard drive. Works great! I use an M-Audio Delta 1010 audio card to route the output from Gigastudio into Sonar. Its extremely flexible working this way, actually.

bond, that's virtually the same setup I have (almost got the 1010 but decided to go with an Aardvark Q10 instead)...

Two questions:

1) Do you use partitions on your single drive, and is it a good idea to have your giga samples on the same partition/folder as other samples?

2)How does giga interact with Sonar? How do they integrate (I went to cakewalk's site, but they didn't mention it)

Thanks

schmoron13,

Right now everything is on a single drive and it works well enough. I will soon be getting a second hard drive for audio use. I have heard partitioning a single hard drive for audio use actually makes the hard drive stylus work harder trying to access differnet parts of the drive at them same time.

As far as Sonar with Gigastudio...

I just launch both Gigastudio and Sonar and load the instruments i want to use. Here's a typical scneario. I have a midi piano track in Sonar that i want to convert to an actual audio track with Gigapiano for example. I route the midi track output in Sonar to "Nemesys MidiOut Port 1" for example. I'll arm an audio track in Sonar and set its input to "Delta 1010 Monitor Mixer". Hit record in Sonar and I'll have the piano part printed as an audio track within Sonar. The midi track in Sonar "plays" the gigapiano, if you will.

Hope this makes sense.

Originally posted by DanS:

Originally posted by Rabid:

GS works best on a seperate computer patched by MIDI.Some people are successful running GS on the same computer as the sequencer but the samples need to be on a seperate HD, and that HD needs to have its own IDE channel.

Robert

Not true. I have Gigasampler running with VST32 on the same computer, and only 1 HD (Dell Dimension PIII600,256ram). It's possible. That said, for sure things will run smoother if the two elements are separate.
I'm not exactly sure which of my statements you were replying to.

Not true that GS works best on a seperate computer patched by MIDI?

Not true that some people are successful running GS on the same computer as the sequencer?

Not true that samples need to be on a seperate HD, and that HD needs to have its own IDE channel?

If you are getting anywhere close to 160 note polyphony, using any effects, using the multi-tembrel capability and/or using multiple 1 Gig+ instrument sets then you need to send Tascam this miracle computer. Then they can analyze it and update the recommended specs. GS will run on my laptop within limits, but those limits are such that I would be as well off with GS LE.

The Tascam GigaStudio forum has a lot of information on getting the most out of your computer. There are a few threads on systems that work well. The common theme behind those who post with computers that do well is a fast HD on its own IDE channel. Shared HD's or IDE channels frequently results in pops and cracks when playing GigaPiano or other large sample sets.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived