Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Disco Drum

robroth1msn.com

What were the names of the specialty synth's used on disco era tunes to get that famed falling pitch

electronic drum sound? I played with a drummer in the late seventies who had one such unit but can't remember it's name. It was definitely not a Syn Drum. The unit itself was crudely made with a sheet metal body that looked rather like a black flying saucer.The controls were equally simplistic,consisting of only volume and decay. There was also a noise source but I don't think he ever used it. It was made in the U.S.A and I haven't seen one in a long time. Most recently this sound has shown up on the No Doubt tune "Hella good".

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

that's the Synare, from Star Instruments of Stanford CT. I have the S3X model here in my hand. Yes, it is crude powder-coated black steel with a rubber velocity-sensitive pad. It is a fairly fat dual-osc synth! Has nine knobs, two switches. Five "presets". Has one 1/4" jack and two unlabeled 1/8" jacks. Mine is AC powered (some of them use batteries) so I plug the power into one of the 1/8"' jacks. I don't know why there are two 1/8" jacks. Some sort of CV/gate control? I know there is some sort of unit that is meant to sequence these. I treasure this little synth, and I paid $26. It's been bashed around for nearly 20 years, and still sounds great. They come up on ebay once in awhile, for about $150 maybe.

Archived