Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

are there any headphones that don't crush your skull??!!

schmoron13

This is an add-on from a thread I started about a month ago on buying headphones. I ended up buying the Sony 7506's but though they sounded great, they killed my jaw and hurt my ears after 45 min of playing. SO I went and returned them and got the Audio-Technica ATH-M30's today, but immidiately after putting them on, they felt tight, and sure enough, about 30 minutes later, they are now uncomfortable on my jaw and my ears...they actually feel tighter than the 7506... :mad:

So my question is: Are there any mixing or tracking headphones that don't kill your ears (comfort) and jaw or should I just shut up and put up with them?

I am looking at returning these today and getting either the Senns 280pros or AKG 240M's...so any info would be greatly beneficial...

Thanks in advance :P

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sennheiser HD480

They leek a lot from outside noise , so if you don't want to hear the phone when you're mixing these won't work, but in wearing confort they are unbeatable!

gigging favorites at the moment LP Special order 1973 and PRS custom 24

There is also sony MDR-605LP / MDR-F1. Not strictly monitorheadphones, but they are soo comfortable, absolutely no pressure what so ever on the ears. It doesn't get hot and sweaty thanks to the open design. The open design leaks noise ofcourse but still. I hate using headphones normally, but these I can stand at least.

They are pretty balanced tonally, and the bass isn't TOO loud. No listening fatigue, but perhaps a bit too gentle with the sound for monitoring purposes(I'm talking about the MDR-605LP) although they don't polish the sound. Voices are a tad bit coloured but I don't think it matters that much. Nice stereo imagening!. No risk of overdoing the reverb.

It's strange that you went from the Sony 7506 to the A-T M30's, that's kind of a step down. I hope you didn't pay the same price - the 30 is usually about 20 bucks less than a 7506. Its bigger brother is called the M40 and it's priced like the 7506 but is much better sounding and much more comfortable.

The M40 has the same driver as the M30 but a larger cup, more padding, larger cans and a full swivel on both cans. They also make a version called the D40 which has an extra bass enhancement so that it sound more like the Sony. They're my current favorite listen-back phones.

The loosest & smoothest headphone: Jecklin Float headspeaker. Some of you are familiar with the name "Jecklin", as in the Jecklin OSS Disc - a stereo recording microphone/device. Jürk Jecklin's brain is probably wired differently than most other's, his aproach to solving problems are very unique.

http://www.tivolihifi.com.au/prodimg/FloatHeadphone.jpg

Jecklin Float Headphones

The Float headphone was the first of it's kind. These headphones may look strange but they are designed like this for some very good reasons. Conventional headphones can become uncomfortable when worn for any length of time. Apart from the feeling that your head is in a vice, most of today's headphones project thesound straight into the ear leading to listening fatigue within a short while. Float headphones are different. They sit on your head rather than clamp it. Float's speaker elements are spaced offof the ear so that the natural contour of your ear can play it's crucial role in the sound that you hear. Float headphonesare a far more natural way tolisten to music. No fatigue and totally comfortable.

Today Jecklin's are sold under a different name: Ergo. They are available in 3 models, 2 dynamics and one high-powered electrostatic.

Websites:

About ears and perception

About the \'phones

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by Steve44:

It's strange that you went from the Sony 7506 to the A-T M30's, that's kind of a step down. I hope you didn't pay the same price - the 30 is usually about 20 bucks less than a 7506. Its bigger brother is called the M40 and it's priced like the 7506 but is much better sounding and much more comfortable.

The M40 has the same driver as the M30 but a larger cup, more padding, larger cans and a full swivel on both cans. They also make a version called the D40 which has an extra bass enhancement so that it sound more like the Sony. They're my current favorite listen-back phones.

I just checked online and found out about the m40...it's sounds awesome with a huge freq range, but I have a question: On Sweetwater and Musician's friend they list it as $99. but on 8th street they list it as only $69...the catch is that they are the M40fs. Those match Musician's friend but Sweetwater list them only as M40...so I went to Audio-technica's website and the M40's don't exist; only the M40fs, so does that mean that Sweetwater is asking 30 more for the same pair?

If so, I am totally gonna go grab the M40fs because it's the 7506 with a better fit for $30 less!!! :D

If anyone knows if they are the same thing (m40 and m40fs)..let me know

...forgot to mention...I heard great things about eh Akg 240's but I have a question and concern...There apppears to be 50 different 240 versions, so which has the flattest response(for mixing); the one's that got the best buy from keyboard I think are the Studio version...also, I heard they leak...if that's true, how bad does it leak, and can they still be used to track vocals?

Originally posted by schmoron13:

...forgot to mention...I heard great things about eh Akg 240's but I have a question and concern...There apppears to be 50 different 240 versions, so which has the flattest response(for mixing); the one's that got the best buy from keyboard I think are the Studio version...also, I heard they leak...if that's true, how bad does it leak, and can they still be used to track vocals?

The 240s are pretty much the standard in the recording industry because they're really comfortable, they don't leak appreciably, and they sound good enough to play or sing along with. Vocalists used them all the time in the studio I used to work in (and we used really sensitive mics). Of course, if your musicians are hard of hearing, you may have more of a problem.

May I suggest you avoid mixing using headphones? You're just not going to get the results you want. Speakers respond differently, and most of your listeners will be listening to your music through speakers.

I have a set of AT M40fs in the studio that I track with for hours on end. Comfortable, 5HZ to 28HZ range, no leakage. Sound feels like it is in 3D in your head. I have several sets of AT pro's for the clients to use while tracking.

You have to hear it to believe it.......

My fade out..........

Jazzman :cool:

Damn, I use the AKG 141 Studio, and I hate them! They are precise, but very incomfortable to me. I really prefer to use the other pair I have at my home, the Beyerdynamic DT831. Their frequency responce is wider and they have more puch than the AKG. When I switch between the two pairs, I have to increase the monitor pot to get the same volume in the AKG (weird!). Even though they're really comfortable, the Beyer are less precise than the AKG... (but to me way more efficient to work with, but it depends on the user of course :) )

Archived