Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis Serial Cable

daBowsa

Where can I obtain a serial cable to connect a QS6/7/8/R to my computer, asap? Can I find one at Radio Shack, or do I have to order one directly from Alesis? This is the answer I seem to be getting...is Alesis still answering their phones?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I pretty much guessed that I wouldn't find one at "Radio Shack" specifically...but I was kind of hoping that this cable was used for *something* else *somewhere* in the world! Does Alesis manufacture it themselves, or are they buying it from a supplier that makes them for someone else, for some other pupose? Wouldn't you think that some distributor somewhere would sell a cable with the two ends needed?

It's a standard Mac serial cable. If you have an older Mac, it's the same cable you would use for a printer, MIDI interface, etc. If you have a PC, you need a 9-pin to Mac serial cable. A computer store which sells Mac accessories should have one of these. You might even look in the PalmPilot section, I have an adaptor for my Palm cradle that's 9-pin to Mac serial.

synthetic wrote:

I don't think so, it's a basic MIDI interface. It doesn't work any better than the MIDI in as far as I'm aware. Plus it wouldn't be worth the USB/Serial conversion, if that even worked at all.

Thanks for the feedback. I have an open serial port I was going to use but this saves me the trouble of making a cable.

Originally posted by dabowsa:

Where can I obtain a serial cable to connect a QS6/7/8/R to my computer, asap? Can I find one at Radio Shack, or do I have to order one directly from Alesis? This is the answer I seem to be getting...is Alesis still answering their phones?

Hosa makes one with a DB 9 on one end and the required plug for the Alesis on the other. It is exactly the same cable that works with certain Yamaha keyboards such as the SO3 (except for some reason the sockest on the SO3 is upside down - but this does not affect the cable, just the person trying to plug it in)

The serial cable will give you substantially faster performance than the MIDI cable. If you are downloading flash cards, its the only way to go - the midi interface is a lot slower. Latency should not be substantially different unless you are pumping huge amounts of data down the cable. Anyway going with the serial rather than midi is a no brainer.

Archived