Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone here suffer from Carpal Tunnel?

Odyssian

Hi,

I'm getting to the point where I can't take the constant pain anymore and am thinking about seeing a doctor about it. I'm pretty certain that it's carpal tunnel, as the symptoms match very closely to that which I've read on the net about it.

I've been dealing with the pain for about 5 years now and it has been getting worse this past year or two. Worse as in intensity of the pain and also in that there rarely a time that I am not feeling the pain.

The thing that scared me is when I recently read that the condition can permanently damage the median nerve, leading to loss of sensation and "wasting" of the muscles in the hand.

Has anyone every had surgery to correct carpal tunnel? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has dealt with the same problem that I'm going through.

Thanks for your replies...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also starting to experience pains in my forearms and wrists, a little in the hands too. Im not sure if it is carpal tunnel...i feel it more while i type and use a mouse as well.

Sorry cant answer your questions, but do a search on "carpal tunnel" in this forum, there were a few threads which discussed this topic quite a lot (maybe a few months ago). Im sure you find some useful information there

Originally posted by Odyssian:

Has anyone every had surgery to correct carpal tunnel? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has dealt with the same problem that I'm going through.

My brother (a guitarist) had surgery done on both wrists back in `95. He made a full recovery, but lately he started having problems again and went back to have the surgery a second time.

The good news; The surgery works well, and after a recovery period, you'll be as good as new.

The bad news; You won't be able to play for several months after the surgery, and you'll have minimal hand use during that time.

Good luck, bro. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you follow the recovery schedule. If you don't follow through with the required physical therapy (or if you try to work your hands too much, too soon) you can actually undo the repair done by the surgery! :eek:

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Hi Steve.. Your brother's carpal tunnel came back after surgery fixed it before?! Man! I hate the thought of going through this even once, much less twice.

The thing that scares me even more is not being able to play keys again by not having surgery if nerve damage occurs.

Sudeep, I'll try a search on this site. Thanks. If you are begining to experience pain, make sure that you are keeping your wrists straight when playing keys or working with the computer. I didn't realize that bending at the wrists could contribute to the condition until it was too late.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.. Does anyone else have anything to share? :(

I too have frequent pain in my wrists and forearms. I believe my symptoms are more like tendinitis than carpal tunnel, but whatever, it's all from repetitive motions.

I had a doctor suggest surgery, but I've been treating it with stretching, ergonomics and advil. Some days are better than others...

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Hi Dave! What are the symptoms of tendonitis as compared to CT?

The pain that I experience sometimes extends all the way up to my shoulder, or sometimes only through my forearms, but it's most severe in my wrists and hands.

I get confused by medical terms, but my understanding is:

Tendinitis is pain, in this case in the wrists and forearms. The farthest it goes with me is to the elbow.

Carpal tunnel sufferers experience numbness in their fingers and hands.

But hey, what do I know? :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Thanks! I guess I have CT because I experience all of the symptoms that you listed. I also experience twitching and spasms at times in my hands. Usually that's only after playing a lot. The pain doesn't leave anymore even if I don't play my synths, but it does get worse when I do.

Carpal Tunnel / Repetitive Strain Injury - it's all pretty serious stuff. I have RSI myself (from constant typing & computer use), and I've learned a bunch of techniques to keep it from getting worse.

It's something that you can prevent, and it's something that you can recover from, but I suggest you definitely see a doctor about it immediately, because like you said, if it goes unchecked, you can do some permanent damage to your hands.

Alex Westner

VP Marketing & Prod Dev

Wave Arts

support@wavearts.com

http://www.wavearts.com

Originally posted by WaveArts:

[QB]Carpal Tunnel / Repetitive Strain Injury - it's all pretty serious stuff. I have RSI myself (from constant typing & computer use), and I've learned a bunch of techniques to keep it from getting worse.

hi guys...thanks for the advice as well. Can i ask two questions. When you say do i bend my wrists? what exactly do you mean? When i play if i am bending my wrists, my knuckles might be slightly higher than the wrists. WHen i type and use the mouse, the bottom of the wrist sits on the table and the wrist is definitely bent up (how can you do it any other way???).

U mentioned these techniques...where can i find out more information about them?

Where's are resident doctor/guitarist when you need him? :)

DON'T PLAY THROUGH THE PAIN. You can do permanent damage, and that's a very sad thing for a musician. See a doctor.

You might also take a few lessons from a teacher with the expressed goal of having him or her watch your hand position when you play. I'm sure there's some genetic predisposition to tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome, but good techinique can't hurt. I've been playing for 31 years, and I don't have any pain. I attribute that to the classical training I received as a child. Finger and wrist position were drilled into me.

Good luck, guys. I'm pulling for you.

My experience: Never had carpal tunnel, but I used to have tendonitis sometimes - not often - when I had to play the piano for many hours (before concerts, etc.).

Plus, I used to find my touch on the piano a bit too rude, and my sound a little harsch. So about 10-12 years ago I decided to rebuild my technique from the ground. It took about two years; I talked with a lot of pianists and teachers, and I studied the Gyorgy Sandor book, "On Piano Playing".

Now I'm playing more than ever, and I never experienced hand problems again. I'm not saying this is going to work for everyone, but a good rethinking of playing technique, following Sandor's principles, can only be of help IMHO.

Carlo

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the cases of carpal tunnel syndrome are a direct result of _not_ playing the piano correctly.

I'm 52, I practice three hours a day (as measured by a stop watch - a real three hours). I play jobs on top of that. I do not have any problems.

When I was 27 or so, I took a few lessons from a concert pianist. He showed me how to play with the least amount of effort. Before I studied with him, you could have grabbed my wrist as I was playing and it would have been locked to the keyboard. Now, if you were to lift my wrist while I am playing, my wrist would fly away from the keyboard.

This advice may come a little too late for you, but the best advice (IMHO) is to study technique with someone who performs classical concerts and who is affiliated with a music university. It's pretty difficult for someone to get that far in the music world and still play using the wrong set of muscles.

When you play the piano incorrectly, your top forearm muscles will get tense and you will have to shake your arm and take a break. If you are playing correctly, but over playing, you may have the muscles on the underside of your forearm get tense ... you're over playing, but you're using the correct set of muscles.

I was suicidal after my first lesson (with that concert pianist) about 25 years ago; I was a hot shot jazz piano player who wanted to improve his technique. I was not prepared to start at the _very beginning_. It took me several months before I could play correctly most of the time. ___It can be taught____.

If you look at _anyone_ who excels in any field, it always looks effortless.

Top forearm muscle tenseness ... you're using the wrong set of muscles and a good teacher can correct that.

I hope this has been of some help. Dave

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

After years of never having a problem playing multiple instruments, playing sports and spending eight hours a day on a computer, I recently developed tendonitis in my left wrist.

It hurts. Like hell. All the time.

My doc is going the drug route...I just got a prescription for a non-steroidal anti-anflammatory called Bextra. I haven't started on it yet (literally had it checked out two days ago), but I'll let you know if it seems to help.

- Jeff

Thank you again everyone. I'm reading all the info that you are writing.

Dave H., I've been playing since I was a young teen. I'm 38 now. Unfortunately, I never took lessons. I attribute my problems to improper playing technique all these years.

The most intense pain that I feel is in my wrists, hands/fingers, and the underside of my forearm, . The pain has most recently reached my shoulder area (biceps and armpits).

Since originally posting this, the pain has died down a little (it varies in intensity from day to day) but was the worst it's ever been last week.

After hearing from a few people about surgery not helping, and about Bucktune's brother (see above) I think I'm going to take the advice of a friend who says he dealt with most of his problems by other means (not surgery). He recomends not having surgery.

I'll see how it goes in the near future and go from there.

Dave H., I've been playing since I was a young teen. I'm 38 now. Unfortunately, I never took lessons. I attribute my problems to improper playing technique all these years.

Sadly, the main thing it needs is rest. That is not to say that better technique won't help, but now that you have injured yourself you have to be prepared to rest. Can you afford not to play for a few weeks?

I am not a pianist but I do play keyboards,since I have recently been enjoying playing self accompanied "piano" type things using headphones on my D70 rather than our acoustic piano so as not to disturb anyone,I have noticed my left hand wrist and forearm getting a little sore.

Could this be related to the fact that the D70 is not a weighted keyboard?Or maybe I'm using my left hand more than I used to. Any thoughts?

I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

The most intense pain that I feel is in my wrists, hands/fingers, and the underside of my forearm, . The pain has most recently reached my shoulder area (biceps and armpits).

thats exactly the sort of pain i am getting...wrists and under the forearm...please let me know on how your treatment goes. Its not intense (yet) but it does hurt.I find the pain most prevalent when im using a mouse at work.

about classical lessons. I started for this exact reason...a classically trained ex concert pianist...unfortunately my sight reading is not good...and yes it improved out of sight...but we were spending more time on sight reading that technique (i could play every piece perfectly during the lesson...the hard bit was if she told to stop at a bar and start again..it would take me a while)...anyway my technique didnt improve

Byrdman writes:

"Can you afford not to play for a few weeks? "

Yes, I have no projects going that can't wait, so I can stop playing. I haven't really played much in the past couple of weeks anyway because of the pain. Problem is, I also do a lot of work with my hands at my job (electronic tech), and also when I use the computer. I've been thinking of staying off the internet while at home (a hard thing for me to do), but I still use a computer while at work.

markvincent writes:

I have noticed my left hand wrist and forearm getting a little sore.

Could this be related to the fact that the D70 is not a weighted keyboard

It could possibly stem from the positioning of the D70. Is it in a position that allows you to play with your wrists straight and arms at the proper height?

sudeep_rao@hotmail.com writes:

"thats exactly the sort of pain i am getting...wrists and under the forearm...please let me know on how your treatment goes. Its not intense (yet) but it does hurt.I find the pain most prevalent when im using a mouse at work."

I'll be sure to post here if I have any luck with improvement. Thinking back to when I first started having problems, the original symptoms were having my fingers lock up. I'd have to reach with the other hand to unlock them. My hands would also spasm semi-violently at times. I remember that was an ugly feeling. Since then, it's mainly just been the pain.

A bummer is that the mouse and computer keyboard that we all use does no good in helping with this type of problem. I've even tried to think up some new product that would take the place of the mouse. I've envisioned a type of product that instead of clicking on a mouse, it would be moved and "clicked" with your legs and feet respectively. Then I thought of the problems it would cause with those extremities. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

When you play the piano incorrectly, your top forearm muscles will get tense and you will have to shake your arm and take a break.

That is exactly what happens with me. I first learned to play pop piano while imitating boogie woogie/ early rockers like Jerry Lee Lewis. Afetr a while, my upper forearm is very sore. I try to "think" relaxed, but it's probably not as beneficial as re-learning a new technique.
Nord Stage 88, Roland XP80, Barbetta Amps, and a bunch of stuff gathering dust in the corner.

I've got to echo Dave H's sentiments. My technique as a young adult was terrible. After some serious re-learning, my wrists are so supple that a chiropractor told me they were far more flexible than the average person's. Keep those wrists loose.

Also, before any surgery, check into the non-invasive remedies. (My wife's a nurse practitioner.) NSAIDs (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Celebrex, Vioxx) are a good place to start. Those meds got me through a very chilly tour of Canadian hockey arenas. Consider deep tissue massage of the shoulders and arms. Don't massage the hands too much! (I've been told that muscle memory can be erased by over-massage of the hands.) If your neck and shoulders are loose, your arms will hang more naturally. Ice down after practice or a gig, like the ball-players do. Then after cold therapy, apply moist heat.

Another thing to consider is playing position. Try to make sure that your arms are parallel (perpendicular?) to the keyboard. (Not always possible in multi-board set-ups.) Nothing will screw up your playing like bad angles.

And buy a board that you don't have to fight to play. Some actions are too loose and too shallow. Those are about as bad as actions that are too stiff.

I've lived through this stuff. I feel your pain. Best of luck on finding the solution that works for you.

K.

Since originally posting this, the pain has died down a little (it varies in intensity from day to day) but was the worst it's ever been last week.

After hearing from a few people about surgery not helping, and about Bucktune's brother (see above) I think I'm going to take the advice of a friend who says he dealt with most of his problems by other means (not surgery). He recomends not having surgery.

I'll see how it goes in the near future and go from there.

One good way to check to see if you are, in fact, playing correctly is this: play with your eyes closed. Have someone (without any warning) bring your wrists away from the keyboard. If your wrists are locked to the keyboard, you're playing incorrectly. If your hands fly away without any resistance, you're playing correctly. You can, of course, check yourself, but if someone else is checking you (and if your eyes are closed), you can be sure of getting better results.

When I was younger I thought all of this was bullshit. Now I know it isn't. I practice three hours a day and have no problems playing five hour jobs on top of that. Only occasionally, do I have any problems from really long playing and taking a day off always corrects everything.

The bad thing with piano playing (along with all other instruments) is some teachers play correctly, but don't have a clue on how to pass on that information. I mentioned about studying with someone who gives concerts and who is affiliated with a music university - it's pretty difficult to get that far and still be incompetent (it does happen though and I had one bad teacher in college who never corrected my problem). Sorry to go on and on about this, but since I played incorrectly up until the age of 27 or so (I'm 52), I now can quickly spot someone who plays incorrectly. You can also hear if people play incorrectly as well ... the sound has a brittle quality, it will break anytime.

Whew!! Back to the piano. DH

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived