Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland XV2020- Any help would be great!

Cezar20

I realised last time I posted on this, I made no sense so I will try to be clearer this time around.

PC running Cubasis 3.0. I load up a MIDI sequence with piano on channel 1, bass on 2 drums on 10 etc. This is MIDI'd out through an Edirol Interface and MIDI'd in to an XV2020.

I set all the patches for each channel on Cubasis.

MY GOAL is to play back this whole sequence with all the individual patches that I have selected.

What channel should the PART KNOB be in? The MODE should be on PERFORMANCE right? What should the CATEGORY/BANK know be in?

Please If I am unclear let me know and I will clarify as I am so excited to use the unit but find the manual nor the tech support(Roland Australia) nor the retailer are much help.

Thankyou!

Cesar

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by cesarpunzalan@hotmail.com:

What channel should the PART KNOB be in?

Shouldn't matter. The unit is being controlled remotely by Cubase.

The MODE should be on PERFORMANCE right? What should the CATEGORY/BANK know be in?
Yes, you should be in Performance mode for playing back multiple MIDI channels.

What is the problem? Are some channels not playing back? Pick a performance that has programs selected for each of the channels you want to use. You could also make your own performance and enable the MIDI channels you'll be using. I'm not sure how to do this on your synth, but it's probably in Performance Edit.

Are the channels playing back, but they're the wrong sounds? Then the synth probably has MIDI program changes disabled.

Hope this helps, -jl

I think his problem is that with the XV series Roland synths, you need to send a controller 0/controller 32 bank select prior to any patch change. If you don't it defaults to a GM patch, I believe. So if Cubase is not set up and doesn't know about the XV-2020, it will send just a simple patch change when you select a patch in Cubase. Even if your performance is set up so that the default patch in channel 2 for instance is a patch from Bank C, if you only send a patch change it will select a GM patch.

The bank select numbers for the XV-5050 (which should be the same as the XV-2020) are:

087/000 User Patch

087/064 Preset Bank A

087/065 Preset Bank B

087/066 Preset Bank C

and so on.

If you don't have a MIDI definition (or whatever Cubase calls it) for the XV-2020, you might try any of the XV series synths as I think the first five banks are identical across the line and the bank select are as well.

Hope that makes sense.

Busch.

Archived