Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JV880- Does it take the JV Boards??

Cezar20

I am looking to get a cheap all purpose synth module. I've found a cheap Roland JV880 at a very cheap price. $500Aus, when a 1010 is $1400.

What id like to know is, for that price range, is it worth getting? Whats the synth like for what id like to do? (All purpose sound source, nothing too extensive)

And the most important question, DOES it take the ever so popular SR-JV boards???

Im SOOOOOOO hoping it does.

Thanks very much in advance.

Cesar

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the JV-880 accepts one SR-JV expansion board. Those boards were introduced with the JV-80 synth and JV-880 module.

I don't know what $500AUS is in US$, JV-880's usually fetch $250-$400 US depending on location here, and aren't a bad unit for the money. 28-voice polyphony, though, and no multi-fx. There are 4 audio outs however, if you want to run through external effects or bus patches to different tracks.

HTH

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Thanks heaps B3!

It looks like I might have found me a little bargain!

$1US is $0.50 Australian

Meaning $250-$400US is around 500-800 Australian! Cool.

And the owner tells me it has the Hip Hop board built in. Which is a board I would use extensively anyway.

Yeah voice polyphone shouldnt matter too much for the level of programming I do.

Rumour I heard though is that JV1010 is getting discontinued for the XV2020. Anyone know if JV Boards will soon be discontinued??

Thanks a million B3

"Rumour I heard though is that JV1010 is getting discontinued for the XV2020. Anyone know if JV Boards will soon be discontinued??"

I would think that they would be discontinued soon, if they haven't been already, as Roland is now selling an XV board that contains several of the JV boards. It seems like they're trying to move everything to the XV line, which makes sense, since it would probably be expensive to continue to produce the JV boards _and_ the XV boards.

Roland has announced a new line of XV expansions which substantially replace the JV library. Dunno if they have stopped production of the JV's though. I would expect JV expansion board prices to drop rapidly as the new expansions come out.

The new expansions are in the SRX family (6 through 9). If one is hoping to get a large number of expansion boards, it may be cheaper to get an XV synth unless JV expansion board prices drop significantly. If one is looking for a specific expansion or two... the JV or superJV synths may be a better value.

More at:

www.rolandus.com

Follow the NAMM link.

Cheers,

Jerry

Jerry,

I have been trying to find a list of the sounds on each of the SRX cards. Rolandus.com is pretty vague as to what exactly is contained on each card. I'd like a list of the presets. Do you know where they are posted??

Rick

Hey Rickkreuzer.Looking for the list of presets on the SRX cards? Go to Rolandus->support->support documents->sound libraries->srx cards. The list is for the first 4 cards only. The other five, although using waves taken from the sr-jv cards, might have a totally new set of presets.

I had a jv80 for a very short period of time. Didn't buy any cards because they were very expensive at that time, and because someone told me that to use the sounds on the card, I had to copy one patch at a time to the user presets. The jv880 is similar in that aspect. It would be a pain in the neck if you wanted to use more than one card. Another thing: All my favorites sounds had only 7 voices polyphony. It's a 28voice machine.But a great addition to your rig, if you have other synths.

I've just bought a spanking brand new ALMOST new to the country XV2020. Ive been using it for an extensive 20 minutes or so and I love it.

I will keep it for awhile and will be saving my pennies for those new SRX Boards.

Along with my other new (last 2 days) purchases, which is an Echo Mia Soundcard and NT2 Rhode Mic, the G.A.S bug should hopefully not bite me for sometime as I am now broke but have no excuse for not making any music.

Thanks all for help!

Archived