Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Neptunes use an Edirol Sound Canvas

Cezar20

Sorry bout the bogus heading. I just have a thing for these eye catching headlines. I work in advertising for a newspaper :) Hope no one gets ticked off, please

I use a Technics KN1400 Keyboard. It's a domestic-ish type of product, but would anyone know of it or be familiar with it? I mean with home brand keys people seem to know the Casio's and the low-end Yamaha's, but not too many about Technics.

What Id like to know is, I use this as my controller and sound source AARGH. Are there any tips to get better sounds out of it? Its got quite a few sound editing options, though I have no idead how to use them, im a preset sorta guy. Im here to compose music, not to construct sonic blah blah with waveforms and etc etc :)

Also, I get very inspired with hearing how my fave artists producers get their sounds particularly if they're products I know of and/or if they used a limited setup.

Eg Dallas Austin, said if he had $5k he would take just a XV5080, a Triton and an MPC. Mind you he probably got $50,000 EACH from Roland, Korg and AKAI for making the comment :)

But yeah I like RnB. So if people could tell me stories (non-fictional preferred) of successful producers who have made programmed tracks with just a JV, just a Trinity and nothing else or something similar, it'd be great.

Would anyone know, what sound sources The Neptunes use for their trademark sound?

And is their anyway to sound that good with my gear of Cubasis with the said Technick keys? Bit of a long shot isnt it?

Or is it............

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I own a Technics KN1000 that I use mostly as a midi controller - not for the sounds. At least on the KN1000 there's not much you can do to change the programmed sounds and they are pretty cheesey. Anyway you look at it you're going to have to put in some cash to improve your sound.

If you wanted to you could get much better results with Gigasampler from Tascam. On the low end you can get Gigastudio LE for about $70, and Tascam sells a GM library that would almost certainly be better than the stock sounds in the KN1400, although I haven't heard them I'm sure they're quite useful, perhaps someone who's used them can comment on them.

On the hardware side of things you would probably do well with one of the Emu Proteus modules, they currently are a bargain buy and the sounds on there are much better than the KN1400 sounds IMHO.

What types of sounds do you need in particular, what's your budget and what type of computer/soundcard do you have? If you have a soundblaster card you can use soundfonts.

Casey

I use a Guillemot ISIS Soundcard.

Would anyone have or know where I can get hold of a Neptune MIDI file so I can di-sect how they sequenced it??

When I do get something, Im looking at an XV5050 hopefully with expansion boards

But yeah I like RnB. So if people could tell me stories (non-fictional preferred) of successful producers who have made programmed tracks with just a JV, just a Trinity and nothing else or something similar, it'd be great.

---------------------------

Rodney Jerkins doesn't use much more than 2 trinity rack, 2 2080 and a MPC-3000

/Poelo

I'm pretty sure that you all have heard this before..."it is not the machine, but the man behind it." :thu: I've seen people construct music on a $200 Casio that sounded better than other producers I know that work in well-known commercial studios in South Florida. Obviously the sound quality of the commercial studio does sound a lot better, but the quality of music doesn't always.

"This tastes like paste"

-RALPH WIGGUM

Rodney Jerkins and his crew are MPC fanatics. What you hear on their projects are mostly sequenced with it. If memory recalls properly RJ used the Trinity, MPC3000, and the EMU P2K and TR rack for DC's "Say My Name". Timbaland's primary axe is the ASR-10, but he also uses the Planet Phatt and other modules. The Neptunes make heavy use of the Triton and Roland modules, as well as EMU's new mods.

Basically, they all use whatever they have access to (and there's a lot of that), but they do have their faves (as does everyone). But it is all about the cat behind the gear..and it always will be.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Thankyou heaps for all the posts!

The links are unreal and I will be studying how these sequences are done.

I've just bought me an Echo Mia Soundcard to replace my shitey ISIS card and an XV2020 module to replace my Technics KN1400 as the sound source. And I threw in NT2 mics as well. Needless to say Im broke now. But a broke man with some new gear isnt all that bad. :)

But yeah the replies have been great.

AlieN: whats an ASR100 which you sed was Tim's fave axe?? is it a drum machine or something? who manufactures it??

Thanks heaps all!

The Ensoniq ASR-10 was/is a sampling workstation. Sequencing, sampling, effects, 61-note keyboard (or 88 if you got the ASR-88), and up to 16MB, I believe. There's also a rack version. It's an older board (c. 1995?), but it's still used by many including Tim and DJ Muggs (of Cypress Hill fame). Before that came the Ensoniq EPS and EPS-16, but they were only expandable to 2MB (maybe it was 4MB for the 16, I forget).

Your setup should get the job done. The Roland will give you sounds for years, literally. Have fun!

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Originally posted by cesarpunzalan@hotmail.com:

I've just bought me an Echo Mia Soundcard to replace my shitey ISIS card and an XV2020 module to replace my Technics KN1400 as the sound source.

cesarpunzalan,

Can you give me some comments on the 2020. Can you compare it to other xv modules, if not, is it good for you style of music (& what style)?

"This tastes like paste"

-RALPH WIGGUM

cesarpunzalan,

On MTV, there was a N.E.R.D performance, and they had basically 2 keyboards for the gig, a Korg 01/w and the other one I'm not sure but I think it too could also be a Korg.

"This tastes like paste"

-RALPH WIGGUM

Firstly bear in mind that up to this point that Ive been using a Technics Keyboard.

So anything I hear will sound so much better!

Well the XV2020 to me sounds good for what I was looking for, which was an all purpose synth.

Church musicals one day, Rnb backing tracks the next.

I liked the drums but will be reading up on how to tweak them. Piano's were good but likewise with drums.

Actually I think it's a really good scratch pad type module. Never used any other synth so can not compare with other XVs. BUt it does have USB and the same Editing software as the 5050!

Great thing, im so glad about is, the fact that its new, so heres hoping that roland dont bring a new line of synths anytime soon. They probably wont for at least 2 years! What will they call it ZV?!?! And the thing about new expansion boards has got me hyped.

Ralph say Gday to the Chief for us!

Archived