Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iBooks and Softsynths

ELP71

Hey all -

I'm aware that the PowerBook G4's are better suited - but would an iBook have the juice to run some live Softsynths? Like a B4, etc? Any experience/tales from the field???

Thanks

ELP71

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can run B4 on my G-3, 233mhz, 256megs of ram Powerbook. I couldn't when I was using the stock hard drive & 160 megs of ram. I don't know what improved things, the new 7200 rpm hard drive or the extra ram, or both. Is this an older iBook? The white 500mhziBooks will run it, no sweat.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I'm talking about the current iBooks - 6oomhz (and up) G3. Only problem is the stock hard drives run at 4200rpm. Trying to avaoid the financial hit of a Titanium G4.

ELP71

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Originally posted by ELP71:

I'm talking about the current iBooks - 6oomhz (and up) G3. Only problem is the stock hard drives run at 4200rpm. Trying to avaoid the financial hit of a Titanium G4.

ELP71

I used to drop in to Unicornation.com the Motu/DP site. I remember people who were using iBooks getting 30 tracks, half a dozen cpu hog plugins, etc. from these little powerhouses. My feeling is that with your increased processor & bus speed (100 vs 66mhz) you won't have any problems running 3 or 4 soft synths. If you do, simply commit one or more to audio. If change some midi along the way you can always resurrect your midi of the track that is now audio & adjust it. You can download 7-14 day demos of different soft synths & try them. If you have just the stock ram, you add a 128 meg chip for about $60. That will help. You can later add a firewire HD. If I can be of any help just ask. I've squeezed some great tracks out of my little Powerbook. Here are some of them.

http://geocities.com/b_3guy

I'm sending you a private message. Check your "My Profile" at the top of the page.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Archived