Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please Advise - Roland KC-500 vs Motion Sound KT80

ELP71

Hey all -

I'm here to raise once again the question of keyboard amps. I'm looking to purchase. In my (recent) experience, I have used a Peveay KB300, a Roland KC-500, and various amp/cabinet combos. Potential axes I run/plan to run include PC88 (soon to be a PC2x), K2000 (synth, etc) and sometimes a Rhodes 73 and Clavinet/Pianet Duo through the potential amp. I'm in a pop-rock band and also play in some light jazz situations - and also do some theatre.

SO - all you active players out there - how do you feel about the KC-500 versus the Motion_Sound KT80??? I'm not looking for rotary function, just a solid, simple amp that adresses the sounds I use with power and grace. I have narrowed to these two amps because they are in my price range. The KC-500 I use (for some mysterious reason) has to be turned up to 8 to give any reasonable volume, so I question this amp (sounds great, though). I like the idea of a switchable tube channel (KT80) but am leery not having heard/played through a Motion Sound product, despite their good reviews.

Any reports from the field?

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am doing similar market research to upgrade my stage monitoring system and can help you out a little bit.

I currently own a Motion Sound KBR-m and KT80. The KBR-m has been sitting at home for the most part, because I have been won over by the internal Leslie modeling in my CX-3 and don't need the KBR-m rotary for the most part. My Leslie 122 can serve that purpose if I really need it. So I am likely going to sell the KBR-m, looking to replace it with a much higher powered but yet still portable solution (such as a Mackie SRM-450 or Barbetta combo amp). There's another good discussion going on this topic.

As for the KT-80, I love it. I have owned one for about 2 years and it was formerly my rehearsal and small gig amp. When I decommissioned my KBR-m, the KT80 became my full time gig amp and I have been using it ever since March for all gigs. It is very portable (28 lbs) and sounds great. It seems to be louder than my KBR-m, although the specs are almost identical. I use the tube channel to get some additional warmth for my CX-3 and I plug an RD600 and Nord Lead into the hi-fi channels. It works very well for me as a stage monitor.

It cannot compete with loud guitar amps and drums if you do not have a feed to the PA. I have played a Roland KC-500 a couple of times and it is definitely capable of a lot more volume than the KT80. But it is a heavy beast (68 lbs) and I'm not convinced that Roland keyboard amps are the best sounding...they always seemed a little lifeless to me. I used a Cube 40 for several years back in the 80's. It was just ok. I personally like the tone controls on the KT80 better, but for sheer volume, the KC500 will win.

I'm curious to know if you have considered Barbetta amps or something like a Mackie SRM450. They pack a lot of punch in much more portable packages than the Roland KC-500.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Eric

Thanks for the report, Eric - 'twas quite helpful!!!

The Barbetta amps seem to be great - but they're about a hundred bucks out of my league right now. It seems like the Mackies would need a seperate mixer, which would also add to the cost. I have a pretty simple live rig, so scaling down is really important.

Thanks again for your input.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Eric,

I know you'd be happy with the SRM450's they are quite nice. Personally, I have a Peavey KB100 that I've had for years in a case that very rarely comes out anymore. I just have a separate monitor channel and I am fortunate to also run sound, so I never have problems hearing myself. I just have floor monitors and in ears. I am SO glad to be getting away from stage amps. I'm working on conning my guitar and bass player into doing the same. In fact, I'm selling all my monitor speakers and amps and replacing them with sidefill cabinets and more in ear units....

Rick

I went for the Barbetta Sona 31 for the same reason to 'scale down'. I like the sound but a friend has the 41 and ever since hearing it I am really disappointed in my purchase of the 31.....and for those organ sounds the only thing that works for me with my Hammond XK2 is to still haul the Leslie 122. My Pro -3T gear all sits on a shelf. Scaling down but at a cost....sound.
John

Archived