Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Schimmel/August Forster

Goldberg

I just posted the "buying a grand" thread and got lots of replies-thanks for those who responded. But I realized that what I should do instead is just ask flat out about the two pianos that I don't know much about and then go from there.

For those who didn't read the thread I'm looking for a grand piano with a nice touch and has a long life. I most likely won't be able to afford a high-end piano, however, like a Steinway or Bosendorfer. But for someone as serious as me, it's understandable why a grand is essential.

Ok, basically what I'm looking for is not really a direct answer. I know European brands for the most part vary from piano to piano and I don't think the two mentioned in the subject line are exceptions. So, what I want is your honest opinions on either or both of these brands and your personal experience with them.

And of course my search doesn't start and end with these two companies;there are tons of others I'm "investigating". Anyway..thanks for your replies!

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Striker

I bought my "dream piano" about 8 months ago after almost an 9 month search process. I, like you, wanted something that would feel good, sound good, and would last. I played a great deal of pianos during my search and ended up purchasing a 3 year-old Steinway B. But along the way, there were two other pianos that really captivated me: The 7' Schimmel and the 7'2" August Forster. In my particular situation, both the Schimmel and the Forster were new pianos, and the Schimmel was a little less money than the Forster due to a special situation with the finish of the Schimmel (but that's another story). Although both pianos are different, I really agonized over which one to purchase. I had little experience with Schimmel and had never seen a Forster before then. Both have what I would call a typical European sound (a little on the dark side), although not so much with the Schimmel. Both had great actions. But I have to say that if they were the same price, I would have chosen the Forster. I like the fact that they're a family-owned company that doesn't crank out thousands of pianos each year. Yamaha has a 24% stake in Schimmel. Boston is Steinway designed, but built by Kawai. Forster only makes about 180 grands per year. There's a true craftsman mentality in the way they're built. I think they may just be the best bargain available in a high-end piano. The number one dealer in America is Altenburg Piano in Elizabeth, NJ (just outside of NYC). If you're serious about spending that kind of money, you might consider paying them a visit. They buy straight from the factory while most other dealers buy from a middle-man I'm pretty sure. (I have no affiliation with any dealer)

Resale, was also a concern to me. But I was hoping to buy a piano for life, so hopefully I wouldn't have to sell. There is a great used market out there, but there a lot of mistreated pianos in the bunch as well. I ended up finding a diamond-in-the-rough, but it still took around $800 to bring the action up to speed. But now it plays like a champ!!!

My best advice is to educate yourself by reading "The Piano Book" by Larry Fine. Also, play EVERYTHING you can -- including the pianos you can't afford. Then buy the best sounding piano you can afford -- and I'd encourage you to buy as big of a piano as you can afford as well. I don't think those sub-six-footers will have the oomph in the low-end that you'll be looking for long-term.

Have fun!!!

I don't have much to add to Steve's input, except my personal experience: I like most Schimmel grands, and I dislike most August Forsters. I find the A.F. a bit boomy, midrangey in a ugly way, and quite stiff to play (well, that depends on the regulation too, of course). Not only stiff in the sense of an hard action: I simply don't find a good connection between touch and sound.

On the contrary, most Shimmels I've played have precisely that connection, for MY playing at least. They can be dark or bright, according to how you play, and give you just the right amount of resistance. I have a Yamaha grand with an especially mellow sound (A lucky strike! :D ), but I'd like to replace it with a new Shimmel as soon as I've got the budget.

That said, you already know that:

1) All individual pianos are different;

2) All pianists play differently;

3) Regulations can make an huge difference in sound and response.

Happy hunting

Carlo

Striker: Can't tell you much about the other but the Schimmel my father had was a seven footer and it sounded great. The instrument was a joy to play. I was truly sorry to see it go when they sold it. I don't think you would be disappointed in the tonal response of the intrument. Although, they all sound a bit different from each other don't they? Unique.

nitecrawler

"Time to head down that old Colorado highway pardner."

Archived