Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

scary chords...western chords??????????

bones_dup3

I am having trouble figuring out what type of chords to use to create different moods such as fear, anger, tension, suprise, relief etc.

I know that a chord: Eb,F,Gb,Bb with Eb as bass

creates a scary type of sound.

A chord: Eb,Gb,Ab/a (Ab slides to A) with Gb bass

creates an I am about to kick your *ss sound

I want to be able to know what chords are used to create specific moods. For instance, I want to know which chords(even scales) to play like they

do in an old western where the bad guy has one piano part that sounds scary, the good guy has an I'm hear to save the day riff and chords, and yet a different chord for the happy ending.

Any help on what type of chords (and even scales) create which moods, or websites, or anything is appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bones:

I am having trouble figuring out what type of chords to use to create different moods such as fear, anger, tension, suprise, relief etc.

I know that a chord: Eb,F,Gb,Bb with Eb as bass

creates a scary type of sound.

A chord: Eb,Gb,Ab/a (Ab slides to A) with Gb bass

creates an I am about to kick your *ss sound

That's just a dimished triad.

Single chords won't do it. The key thing is transitions between chords and tonalities. Plus the control of disonance.

To do it well is a very subtle art. Its true there are all sorts of hackneyed things you can do, like using gallons of french horns for sea and space battles but even John Williams, who is the past master at that stuff, suffers from sounding too much like John Williams these days.

So unless you have a piece to do in the genre, work on your own compositional style rather than trying to imitate narrow historical styles.

My recommendation would be to learn some basic approach to constructing chords. For example, learn how to use a Fake book (recognize what notes to play when you see C7 or Gmin9 or etc.).

Next, take some pieces and look at how different chords relate to eachother (i.e. I chord going to a V chord).

Finally, listen to music which articulates the chording you are looking for and mess with the the voicing (arrangement of the notes) until you find something familiar in the theory sense.

Then again, if you want an easy answer, go to the library and check out some old issues of Keyboard and read the lessons section.

Or you could just use your ear.

I was going to say the usual crap. Minor chords for sadness, Major sevenths for love or reflection, etc. etc.

But after the other replies, this is all moot. Depending on whether or not you're playing solo or with backup makes a difference. What I mean is, each requires a different approach. Past masters have displayed anger with minor AND major

chord inflections, and fright with single notes!

It all takes some hit-and-miss trials before you find the voice you want.

And can anyone tell me what chord is used with those very, very high-pitched strings Bernard Herrmann used for that now clicheic sound for fright and suprise? (Eee-eee-eee-eee-eee!)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by bones:

Here's one of my faves for sudden horror; C, F, Gb, B. Start an octave above middle C with a string pad type sound. Kind of an "Oh, shit. The killer can see me but I can't see him!" type of scene.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Originally posted by Bucktunes:

Here's one of my faves for sudden horror; C, F, Gb, B. Start an octave above middle C with a string pad type sound. Kind of an "Oh, shit. The killer can see me but I can't see him!" type of scene.

Peace all,

Steve

He he... I guess you never heard Stockhausen's "Klavierstucke n.9", a piece I studied in conservatory. It starts with 128 repetitions of this chord (just a semitone above your example) starting with a banging fortissimo, then gradually diminuendo to ppp. And then it starts fortissimo again, for about 40 more times! Quite an experience... :D:D:D

Archived