Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

questions about modules and piano samples

dissident

I just bought a used Roland Fp-8 digital piano. The reason I bought it was the great action and that I didn't want to pay twice the price for a new piano that doesn't have better action but a few more sounds and a bunch of pointless feauters that i'd never use.

Now I'm looking for a way to better piano sounds. I don't know much about gigapiano, I've heard it's really good. Is it possible to use a software based sampler for the piano and be able to play in real time without latency? If so, how much computer power is required? Are there any good hardware modules with only piano sounds at fairly low prices? I am interested in any alternatives to get a great piano sound for my great fp-8 action keyboard.

thanx!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First: Yes. Gigasampler has outstanding latency, or outstandingly low latency, rather.

Secondly, if you just want to use the Gigapiano, i.e., you won't be doing complex 16 part sequences with GSampler, you really don't need a very powerful machine. A PIII 500 will do just fine, or even less, esp. if you're not using the same computer for sequencing or recording. I know a guy who gets what he needs out GSampler on a PII 300.

The other big decision is soundcard. For your needs, you will do fine with a decent stereo card with MIDI I/O, like the M-Audio Audiophile.

I recommend the setup. The Gigapiano is not even one of the most highly regarded Giga piano sample available. I like it alot, but many people seem to prefer the East-West Steinway, the Bardstown Bosendorfer, or Posts Grandioso.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I have a gigasampler LE with the gigapiano. I liked the sound until I played the Yamaha p120 and the Roland xv keyboard with the concert piano card.The gigapiano seems to be missing something.If you are looking for a module, wait until the Roland jv2020 comes out and buy it with the 64mb piano card. I think you'll be happy.

Archived