Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've got bad G.A.S.!

Yesterday I made the hour-long trek to the nearest big city (Winston-Salem) and spent some time in some "real" music stores. (The one store here in my small town is great for guitars, basses, PA's and amps, but is severely lacking with regard to keys--stocking only out-dated and over-priced models like a Yamaha DX-21 for $ 900!)

Anywho.....I got to mess with a number of boards including a Kurzweil PC2 (cool but expensive), Roland RS-9 (outstanding board), and Yamaha S03 (which I thought was awful with very cheesy sounds)along with some others. Also got to hear some fine playing by another guy on the Triton (unbelievable sound but too much for my needs). And to top it off I got to do some jamming on a vintage B3 with 122 Leslie---man it screamed and was only $ 17,000! (Got a woodie just playing it!)

So here I am today with a bad case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome and no money to make it go away. I would love to be able to update my setup and purchase a Korg CX-3 and Roland RS-5 but don't have the cash to do so. Add to that list a Fender Acoustic/Electric Bass, a new Dan Electo bass, a new "well-aged" fiddle and a Hammond/Leslie combination and I could die happy.

What's a poor boy with a bad case of G.A.S. to do?

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$17,000 for a B3 and a Leslie. I have heard of such prices before, but that seems inordinately high, even if they're matching colors and in perfect condition.

In the SoCal area, pairs go for $5 to 6K regaularly.

I feel for you, man. My current GAS pains include a K-2600, Gigastudio, a really nice chopped B3 for sale locally, an Alesis Andromeda, and plug-ins, plug-ins, plug-ins.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

solutions-

1. Five-finger discount

2. Do you have a sister that likes streetcorners ?

3. "Hello Grandma, do you know who loves you more than anyone in the whole wide world ?"

4. Write "Jimi Hendrix" on your Stratocaster and list it on Ebay with a starting bid of $4,500

5. Pepsid AC....it works for me

After a couple of years of milking sounds out of...well basically no gear at all :eek: a handful of gear has made me dangerously GASsy.

No Smoking- explosive fumes.

Lessee, NEED an Andromeda, a Mephisto, a MicroQ, a fretless bass, two dozen different mics, oh it goes on forever.

But I don't dream about gear. Hm, John, you tripping? :D I dream about trees- last night it was palm trees (which are actually grass, not trees, whatever). I think about trees a lot- but it all leads back to GAS, because the Neuron can make leafy-green colors. Now every time I go out to look at the blooming acacia in the courtyard, I fantasize that I fondling the dainty knobs of the Neuron, tweaking that slightly dusty green and coral into sound...

Goodness gracious, what a bunch of freaky geeks we are. And proud of it, I hope.

-Bobro

The B-3 was cool--not 17 grand worth of cool but... It had the working guts and boards of an original B in a newly made, solid oak body,made in the shape of an original B also. The Leslie also was basically the same...old guts with new solid oak box. All naturally finished. Edges were kinda sharp though.

It was unique and great looking...though I would gladly take an original, beat-up finish and cut the bill by about 13 grand.

Normally in the want ads down here you can occasionally find B3's in the $ 3,500 range with Leslie (C's and A's somewhat less, M's in the $ 700 range). If you go to a store that amount for the B magically triples or quadruples or more. Funny though it doesn't happen like that with the C, A, M or L models though. Must just be the "B-3" moniker and reputation.

Either way, I shall not be fully satisfied until one is in my possession.

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

Originally posted by SteveRB:

[QB]solutions-

1. Five-finger discount

We're talking a B3 and Leslie here - more like two beafy guys with hand-trucks discounts. Plus you need a third to ask to see some guitar stomp boxes from the locked glass case to distract the staff while you sneak the B3 and Leslie out.

;)

Don't look to me for solutions -- I've got it bad too.

My original post here -- asking advice about what keyboard to buy -- is coming close to fruition now. Unless something goes wrong in the plans over the next three weeks, July 31 I'll have cash in hand to go get my new board, and some amplification too.

I've pretty much decided on the Roland RD-700 for the board. It seems to come closest to meeting these requirements:

* Good weighted key feel, without being too stiff

* "Good enough for rock n roll" acoustic pianos

* Sweet electric pianos, with lots of different variations.

* Decent horns and strings

* Expandable with modules and such

* Less than $2K

The Kurzweil PC2X was a close second. The acoustic pianos are FAR superior on the Kurz, and the action is slightly better as well, but the EPs just didn't move me that much. The EPs on the Roland made me think: "Gee, I really need to learn some Paul Simon tunes". :D

I also need to upgrade my amplification. Which reminds me, I need to post a ? on that....

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

I've pretty much decided on the Roland RD-700 for the board. It seems to come closest to meeting these requirements:

* Good weighted key feel, without being too stiff

* "Good enough for rock n roll" acoustic pianos

* Sweet electric pianos, with lots of different variations.

* Decent horns and strings

* Expandable with modules and such

* Less than $2K

The Kurzweil PC2X was a close second. The acoustic pianos are FAR superior on the Kurz, and the action is slightly better as well, but the EPs just didn't move me that much. The EPs on the Roland made me think: "Gee, I really need to learn some Paul Simon tunes". :D

I also need to upgrade my amplification. Which reminds me, I need to post a ? on that....

--Dave

Dave,

You may want to wait a few weeks for the Yamaha S90. It'll have the Motif sound engine and an all new 30MB triple-strike acoustic piano sample!! My PC-88 is falling apart, and I'm still waiting!!

Davin

Originally posted by davinwv:

Dave,

You may want to wait a few weeks for the Yamaha S90. It'll have the Motif sound engine and an all new 30MB triple-strike acoustic piano sample!! My PC-88 is falling apart, and I'm still waiting!!

Davin

Hmmmm...

I loved the patches on the Yamaha S80. The APs were definitely superior to the Roland, and the EPs were comparable. However, the action on the Yamaha was waaaaaayyyyyy to stiff for me. I just don't think I could play that thing for a 4-hour gig!

Anyone know if they've changed the action for the S90? Or if Yamaha has a firm release date for it?

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

Dave,

Davin

Hmmmm...

I loved the patches on the Yamaha S80. The APs were definitely superior to the Roland, and the EPs were comparable. However, the action on the Yamaha was waaaaaayyyyyy to stiff for me. I just don't think I could play that thing for a 4-hour gig!

Anyone know if they've changed the action for the S90? Or if Yamaha has a firm release date for it?

--Dave

The S90 has a Motif 8 keybed. The MSRP is $1,995.00 I believe. So, street price will probably be around $1,600-1,700. The S90 will be introduced @ Summer NAMM, with a release date sometime in August.

Davin

The S90 has a Motif 8 keybed. The MSRP is $1,995.00 I believe. So, street price will probably be around $1,600-1,700. The S90 will be introduced @ Summer NAMM, with a release date sometime in August.

Davin

YYYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!! :cool: That's even better news than I was hoping for! Plus a 30 meg triple strike piano? And for about the same price as the S80? Giga-cool! :love:

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Archived