Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wrists

Goldberg

This post is similar to the tennis elbow post-it involves pain.

Here's the deal. My teacher recently had me weigh my two pianos (and yes I mean the key touch not the actual piano). Both of them (my Yamaha and Roland) had weights of above 60g (I think it was like 62). Well anyway I've been playing on my Roland for as long as I've been playing (4 years) and the Yamaha for only about a year.

My teacher is very concerned about tentinitis (or however you spell it) and it's started to worry me a little bit. I don't want to damage my wrist so I can't play again. And we don't particularly have the money to buy a new piano (not to mention I wouldn't sell the Roland for money because I need it for sequencing).

Niether wrist is hurting too much right now-and they normally don't, but sometimes while I'm playing I get a slight "pulse" of pain through my hand-usually my left hand. I've tried playing higher up than usual (and no, I don't sit way down low normally)-and that's taken some of the load off my wrists.

I'd like to prevent the problem from starting before it's too late-any suggestions?

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How was this test done? this is interesting.

Is the Yamaha you mentioned an electronic piano or acoustic? I'm surprised simulated weighted actions would be heavier than a real piano.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Rod-the test was done with a set of cylinder-shaped weights that were held together by a screw...I really don't know a whole lot about it, but you can add or subtract the weights (they do weigh different amounts) as you need them and then you add them up when the test is done...What you do is place the weight set on the tip of the key, where the ideal striking position is, depress the sustain pedal, and then see how much weight is needed to lift the hammer up to make the string vibrate. The proper weight setting actually varies from piano to piano (but only due to piano size)-and Steinway has a list of standard weight settings-I think their grands have weights around 50g or so-again, slightly altering by piano length.

Sorry if that was confusing-perhaps someone else can explain it better.

The Yamaha is an acoustic upright-and again, it's fairly new and in great condition. The Roland has been banged on by me for 4 years (I practise a lot-and play the Roland more than the Yamaha)and the key action I think is starting to wear down and get harder to press down. Otherwise it's a great piano-most people aren't familier with the KR-series Roland digital piano, but brand new it's touch really isn't that light anyway.

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

Originally posted by Striker1080:

I'd like to prevent the problem from starting before it's too late-any suggestions?

Hi,

As someone who is getting more and more bummed about wrist pain, I'd recommend that you be sure to get the proper playing technique and positioning down first.

From my limited understanding, incorrect playing technique and arm/hand positioning is the biggest cause of injury.

As an aside, I've always played synthesizers...no "real" pianos with heavy actions, and my pain is barely tolerable at times.

In other words, I don't think the action of the pianos that you're using is the main concern, but instead getting the proper training on how to play correctly and safely.

Good luck

AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!! I had written a rather lenghty reply, but this f*#°ing software ate it for breakfast...! :mad::mad:

Here's the condensed version...

A few teachers advice against putting extra weight on piano keys - it changes the touch response. If you want to try it, my advice is to be careful. Play for shorter periods of time, and ALWAYS DO SOME FORM OF WARM-UP. Give your hands the time to get accustomed to the new response. If you feel discomfort or pain, stop immediately and relax. Hand injuries can go on forever if ignored. There are (almost) no muscles to "build" when playing the piano, just learn to control weighting and gravity. :)

For a very good introduction to piano technique and hand/body position, you could read "On Piano Playing" by Gyorgy Sandor.

Carlo

Originally posted by Striker1080:

Here's the deal. My teacher is very concerned about tentinitis (or however you spell it) and it's started to worry me a little bit. I don't want to damage my wrist so I can't play again.

Niether wrist is hurting too much right now-and they normally don't, but sometimes while I'm playing I get a slight "pulse" of pain through my hand-usually my left hand. I've tried playing higher up than usual (and no, I don't sit way down low normally)-and that's taken some of the load off my wrists.

Perhaps I can help.

"Tendonitis" occurs when tendons are chronically inflamed. Obviously, it's use-related, and related to carpal-tunnel syndrome (in that repetitive strain & overuse are causative in each).

In no particular order, helpful therapies include rest, icepacks, alternating hot & cold baths, massage, stretching, strengthening exercises.

Tha fact that you've gotten relief by changing the angle of your wrists (sitting higher) while playing suggests that you're hyper-extending your wrists while working your fingers (does this describe your typing, too?).

Can offer detail later.

It is more important to be kind, than to be clever.

Archived