Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What should I pay for a Hammond clone?

daBowsa

I'd really like to pick up a VK-7 used somewhere...but what should I pay for it? Is it worth it, or should I step up and get a new VK-8? The CX-3 seems to be the best for emulation, but I've got a limited budget...

How's the Leslie sim on the 7? Would I need to buy another piece of gear that would bump up the total price? I'm really looking at the 7 because I see a lot better players than me playing it, so it can't be horrible...but they're all running 122's which is not an option for me.

Thanks,

Ben.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dabowsa:

I'd really like to pick up a VK-7 used somewhere...but what should I pay for it? Is it worth it, or should I step up and get a new VK-8? The CX-3 seems to be the best for emulation, but I've got a limited budget...

How's the Leslie sim on the 7? Would I need to buy another piece of gear that would bump up the total price? I'm really looking at the 7 because I see a lot better players than me playing it, so it can't be horrible...but they're all running 122's which is not an option for me.

Thanks,

Ben.

I believe I saw VK7s at musicians friend for around $1300. They seem to be gone though. No idea on used prices and it depends a lot on condition - I've seen one go for $400 but with several broken keys and generally in poor shape. The release of the VK8 should depress the price of these used too. There's one on ebay right now, said to be in good condition, with a $750 reserve which is undoubtably in the ballpark.

The Vk8 is much nicer sounding than the vk7. Musicians Friend has them at $1500 which is a good deal. So you would have to figure a VK7 new would be worth about $1200 max and that suggests that one should not pay more than $800 for one in good condition used.

If you are on a budget I would look for a Hammond xb2. These are better sounding than the VK7 in my view.

Have you considered the original Korg CX-3 from the 70's and early 80's? They're getting pretty rare, but it seems they go for around $500-700. You might come across one in a used music gear store, the classifieds, or eBay (there are 2 there now). Anyway, I haven't heard one in a while, but it's still considered one of the best because the sounds are analog - not digital. Check it out!

If you are on a budget I would look for a Hammond xb2. These are better sounding than the VK7 in my view.
I must disagree...the XB2 and the XK2 suffer from harmonic beating when played through a real Leslie. The VK7 has a much truer-sounding synthesis engine as well...the original XB2 sounded bad through a Leslie and positively disgusting by itself. The VK's action is much better than the XB2. A used VK7 is a good bet, or the VK8. I had a VK7 for 3 years, Leslie sim was a bit weak but if I used a real Leslie it sounded very good.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

How's the leslie sim on the original CX3? I've got a bid on one at eBay and am interested if anyone has A/B'd the original with one fromt this latest generation of clones.

Anyone still have one lying around? I'm not looking for a piece of vintage gear to sit on a shelf - I need something I can play out with once or twice a week...is the original a valid option?

Originally posted by dabowsa:

How's the leslie sim on the original CX3? I've got a bid on one at eBay and am interested if anyone has A/B'd the original with one fromt this latest generation of clones.

Anyone still have one lying around? I'm not looking for a piece of vintage gear to sit on a shelf - I need something I can play out with once or twice a week...is the original a valid option?

Others from "The Clonewheel"(a Yahoo group dedicated to Hammond clones) swear by the CX3 all alone. In my opinion the Leslie sim has that bouncing off the walls sounds but its too digital for my taste. If you mellowed it out with a couple of 'tube pre amps' I bet it would sound great. But I also heard a lot about the CX3 crashing and needing software updates. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by 147Keys:

Have you considered the original Korg CX-3 from the 70's and early 80's? They're getting pretty rare, but it seems they go for around $500-700. You might come across one in a used music gear store, the classifieds, or eBay (there are 2 there now). Anyway, I haven't heard one in a while, but it's still considered one of the best because the sounds are analog - not digital. Check it out!

I have an original CX-3, and it is my main board. I absolutely love it, and I get complements on the sound quite often. I play it through a Motion-Sound Pro3, so I don't use the rotary effect much.

[edit]I was too quick on the post button, I meant to add that I got it from someone on craigslist, and paid $700. It was in good shape. The tuning is slightly sharp, the tuning dial must be set almost completely flat to be in tune. Also, since I've had it the distortion dial has developed a lot of noise. I haven't tried to discover why yet, I just use the distortion on the Motion-Sound instead and keep the dial to 0.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

My CX3 (vintage) was just recondonditioned last summer (by me), so it's in perfect working order.

I love it and wouldn't part with it. However, it sounds best with a third party rotary effect. The built in simulator does not sound very authentic. Otherwise, the organ sounds terrific and all of the controls are very intuitive. To remind everyone, it has purcusion, distortion and click controls as well as drawbars.

Carl

Archived