Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

copyright in sampling.

skynare

Hello people.

I have a question about sampling.

Is it illegal if I record a synthesizer's patch (not exporting directly) and make a new patch with that recorded wav for sampler?

You know, connect audio out of syth with the audio in on the sound card and record....

What about commercial sample CDs?

Can I record the sample CD and reuse the recorded wave files for free?

If it is not illegal, I think I can rent a synthesizer and record every preset, then make it in to sampler patch, so I don't have to buy the syntheszier...

Any comments?

Thanks. And I like the color of Brazil soccer team uniform, yello and green. But I dont' like Lakers uniform, yello and purple.

S K Y N A R E

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not an expert, especially in U.S. legislation, but I think it's perfectly legal if you use those sound to make your music, and you don't try to sell them. However, I know of a few cases where a third party sampled the presets of a famous synth and DID sell them as a CD-rom for a sampler. I don't know if they asked permission to the manufacturer of the original synth.

As for sample CDs, you should read the fine print on the CD itself - every manufacturer seems to have a slightly different licensing policy. The general tendency seems to be that you're free to use and modify the samples for your own musical projects, just don't try to resell them. Some developers ask that you quote their name on the CD cover if you're making commercial CDs.

And of course, sampling synth patches it's not that easy - you have to duplicate a few filter, envelope and LFO setting on your sampler. A tedious task to say the least!

Carlo

Archived