Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Out of Time

Cezar20

Please help.

I'm experiencing MIDI Timing problems. Using a PC with an (I know, I know it's my fault) ISIS :( Soundcard. My synth is MIDI'ed to the Breakout box and this is MIDI'ed back out to my synth.

When I play a MID file from Cubase, the playback is loose, not in time etc. This applies to existing MIDIs that were played in real time ON TIME and also to anything that I record now. Ie I programm a simple drum pattern and it plays back out of sync. What can I Try. I know I know ditch the ISIS, but I haven't the funds just yet. So please any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough one. If you get timing problems with simple sequences, then there's something major going on.

I would try to find a newsgroups specific for the ISYS card and see if people have reported a specific incompatibility between the driver version and the latest directX version, for instance.

What are your resources at for windows? I would try to shut down as many programs as possible. I have my computer up to about 92% (could be higher if I killed norton AV), but I've debugged friend's computers that were really low becuase of all the stuff getting loaded at startup, to the point Windows would almost halt after a few programs would be opened and closed.

What software are you using to sequence?

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by cesarpunzalan@hotmail.com:

Hello

Software is Cubasis 3.7R1 which I've just been advised by Steinberg is actually V1.0 now that they have revised the product line up.

Buffer setting is 5512

Get away from 3.7 as quickly as you can, unless you're using it only as a midi sequencer for driving external gear. 3.7R2 was really stable in my experience, and it seemed like a great thing, but it has a big weak spot. This was discussed in great detail at cubase.net long ago. I think the user "Hippo" was the first to point out that the insufficient snap-point resolution brought about phasing problems with the simplest cutting and editing of audio. Steinberg admitted it and changed it for 5.x. Anybody who wants to flame me on this, please read through cubase.net archives carefully first. Anyway a real first-class audio sequencer is sample-accurate, and note this on the Cubase SX feature list: "Sample accurate in-place editing of audio on Project level". That's more like it.

IMO the long-standing Cubase reputation as rock-solid for MIDI comes from Mac and Atari use. Cubase was ported to Windows, and Windows has long been problematic for audio anyway, so Cubase VST + Windows takes some serious tweaking to run right.

Cakewalk is currently offering Sonar to registered Cubase owners for $99 and you can keep your Cubase, BTW. :eek:

Archived