Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CakeTalking Software for the Blind?

lrossmusic

Anyone ever seen the program called CakeTalking that helps blind folks navigate Cakewalk Pro Audio? I've been to www.dancingdots.com who sell it but they don't give much info on how it actually works other than to say that it helps enbable bind musicians to use Cakewalk. I was hoping someone here might have seen it work or could turn me on to a blind user.

Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by lrossmusic:

Anyone ever seen the program called CakeTalking that helps blind folks navigate Cakewalk Pro Audio? I've been to www.dancingdots.com who sell it but they don't give much info on how it actually works other than to say that it helps enbable bind musicians to use Cakewalk. I was hoping someone here might have seen it work or could turn me on to a blind user.

Thanks

Lincoln - thanks for clueing me in to this program. I can't tell you anything about it, but I have a new co-writer up in Oregon who is blind and may be able to use this program in the future. If I hear anything about it, will let you know.

In the meantime, have you contacted the company to get more info and/or the names of some of their users? I'd bet they would be happy to refer you....

Good luck!

lz

Laurie Z,

Thanks for you response. Actually I have been in contact with Bill McCann who heads www.dancingdots.com and he is sending us a damo cd this week. BTW Bill is blind also. If your friend hasn't heard about all of this either it's good that the word is getting out. Below is one of the e-mails I recieved from Bill which contains more info. I am looking forward to getting the demo.

(My friend Skip and I have been waiting for something like this to be developed for a long time. We have known each other for almost 30 years and have co-written a number of songs.)

Dear Lincoln,

> >

> > On behalf of David Pinto, I thank you for your interest in CakeTalking.

My company, Dancing Dots, is the exclusive distributor for David's software. CakeTalking runs only on Windows95, 98 and ME. Some customers, and we ourselves, have successfully installed it with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

under> > Windows 2000 but others have had problems getting the color settings> > properly configured and so failed to be able to use CakeTalking fully under> > 2000.

> >

> > As I told Skip by phone the other day, he will gain a huge amount of> > creative independence by learning to use CakeTalking to produce audio> > recordings. I also told him that, as a blind person new to computers,

he> > will need to learn the basics of JAWS and Windows itself before he can take> > advantage of all the power of CakeTalking. He should be receiving a demo CD> > from us later this week which contains an mp3 file of one of our

customers> > working in his studio in Coldwater, Michigan. This mp3 file is the closest> > thing we currently have to any kind of demo.> > David anticipates the release of scripts compatible with Sonar,Cakewalk's> > latest product, by the end of this month. As a new customer, I

recommend> > you plan on using Sonar as soon as possible. Meanwhile, though, you can get> > started with Cakewalk and CakeTalking and upgrade to Sonar and the> > CakeTalking scripts for Sonar when they become available.

> >

> > $249 CakeTalking scripts and tutorial

> >

> > $269 Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

> >

> > $895 JAWS for Windows screen reading software

> >

> > Upgrading when CakeTalking scripts for Sonar are ready:

> >

> > $99 Upgrading Pro Audio 9 to Sonar 2.0

> >

> > 0 Free upgrade from CakeTalking 2.0 to 3.0

> >

> > Considering that we sell Sonar new for $399, the upgrade from Cakewalk Pro> > Audio 9 for $99 is a very good deal. By purchasing Cakewalk Pro Audio 9> > now, you can get started learning all of the keystrokes and features which

> > will still be part of the CakeTalking commands for Sonar.> >

> > I look forward to hearing from you and Skip soon.

> >

> > Regards,

> > Bill

> >

> >

> > Dancing Dots...Where music meets technology for the blind!

> >

> > Download GOODFEEL 2.6 demo from: www.dancingdots.com/democddl.htm

> >

> > www.dancingdots.com

> >

> > See January 2002 @Freedom Scientific Newsletter for more about our> > technology and the people who use it:> >http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_news/jan2002.asp#story5

> >

> > E-mail: info@dancingdots.com

> >

> > 1754 Quarry Lane

> > PO Box 927

> > Valley Forge, PA 19482-0927

> >

> > Tel: 610-783-6692

> > Fax: 610-783-6732

> >

Archived