Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Graded hammer action - Why no aftertouch?

Bucktunes

I've noticed that most digital piano keyboards now have graded hammer action, which is cool. But I haven't seen any of these keybeds with aftertouch! :(

Why is this? Am I missing something? Does nobody make such a keyboard yet, or is it not possible to have both graded action and aftertouch? Do the keybed makers just figure that anybody who wants a true piano touch won't care about aftertouch? If so, I think they're figuring wrong. I want both, dammit! :)

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that it's not that no one wants graded hammer action with aftertouch, but that most people who buy graded hammer action keyboards aren't after aftertouch. I can't think of a single graded-hammer action keyboard that isn't in a piano-synth a la P120, P80, etc. Certainly none with editable parameters or even voices that could really make use of aftertouch. The Motif and S80, two keyboards that have lead sounds and others that can make use of aftertouch, have aftertouch - but are not graded hammer action. They both have the balanced hammer action (but not the same action).

So, in short, there just aren't enough people who want this combination of features. Most people who want the authentic hammer action want it for piano and buy synths that are more or less dedicated to piano.

I would love to hear some competing theories.

-Casey

The only reason I can think of would be that a real piano, Rhodes or Wurli doesn't have aftertouch too and that's what I would use a weighted action for. I'm not a fan of "all in one" boards. Here's my ideal gig setup:

A Rhodes or stage piano with great piano, Rhodes and Wurli (don't care too much about vibes) and a synth with aftertouch on top. MIDI connection would be piano-out to synth-in.

Weighted action and aftertouch? Yeah, why not! If I can turn off aftertouch when playing piano patches (must be no problem), sure.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the Fatar controllers have both graded action and aftertouch. I bought my SL 1100 just before Fatar came out with graded action, but I can't imagine that they ditched aftertouch on the new models.

Originally posted by MojoHaiku:

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the Fatar controllers have both graded action and aftertouch.

Indeed they do. After reading your post, I went to their website. They call it "contoured strike force" and yes, they do also have aftertouch. :)

So I guess I was missing something. Thanx 4 the tip! :thu:

Now, if Yamaha will just release a Motif module...

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Theory:

OK, make that an opinion, piano type of actions and aftertouch don't go together most of the time. Aftertouch and a non-weighted synth action work together, but when you work in the inertia of a weighted key you lose the type of control on the speed of playing that works with the aftertouch. It is not just coincidence that piano instruments have evolved without aftertouch.

It think it comes down to the laws of physics.

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Archived