Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for a Piano and Lead Sound Synth. Advice?

Dave Pierce

A little hint: Most manufacturers provide the manual for their keyboards as PDFs online. It might be a good idea to download and scan through the ones for the gear you are interested in, since some functions may be less than obvious when playing in a store.

Have fun exploring

Mizu

"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mizu:

A little hint: Most manufacturers provide the manual for their keyboards as PDFs online. It might be a good idea to download and scan through the ones for the gear you are interested in, since some functions may be less than obvious when playing in a store.

Have fun exploring

Mizu

Great idea! I'll be all over that before my next visit...

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Frankly, that was something on the negative side of both the Yamaha and the Alesis I tried. Neither seemed to have a simple, user-definable set of "one touch" buttons to get the patches you're looking for in a hurry. If the Kurzweil does, that's a big plus in it's favor.
You can f^@% around with your board at home before the gig. I've been tweaking and programming patches on my CS6x and I have stored them on the smart media card in an order so that I can switch sounds with the touch of one or two buttons. A foot switch might also help you out.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

Well, two others agreed with ELP71's vote for the Kurzweil. Guess I'll have to try that now. I wonder if it fits my <$2k budget? We'll see.

Also posted by Dave Pierce:

Frankly, that was something on the negative side of both the Yamaha and the Alesis I tried. Neither seemed to have a simple, user-definable set of "one touch" buttons to get the patches you're looking for in a hurry. If the Kurzweil does, that's a big plus in it's favor.

Dave - the PC2X does fit well within your budget. Incredible bang for the buck. YOu can find one generally for around $1,750 USD.

Also - the PC2X is the answer you're looking for in terms of simple one-button recall.

I don't have a DIME in Kurzweil stock or anything - so these thoughts are purely honest and based on what the board has done for me.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

I also would recommend that you try out a PC2. It has all or most of the sounds you want, and it's designed for performing. The 'PC' in PC2 means Performance Controller - the user interface is really designed for performing. Also, there's two versions of it, one with 88 weighted keys (PC2x) and another with 76 semi-weighted keys (PC2). The 76-key version might suit you, since you said you wanted synth-action for leads. The 76 PC2 is sort of half-way between a weighted action and a synth action, and it still feels pretty convincing for playing piano, and it has the advantage of being lighter in weight. If you're hauling it to gigs, this is something you need to consider - the lighter the better. I almost bought one myself, the only reason I didn't is because I have a gripe about the way it sends controller values when you change patches, but this is an issue about controlling modules, and wouldn't affect you. As a self-contained unit, you really should put it on your list of boards to check out.

Originally posted by ELP71:

Also - the PC2X is the answer you're looking for in terms of simple one-button recall.

I don't have a DIME in Kurzweil stock or anything - so these thoughts are purely honest and based on what the board has done for me.

Cool, I gotta check this board out. I always loved Kurzweil's stuff when I was gear-hunting in the 80s, but back then it was way to expensive for me. Guess that's no longer true.

Hey, maybe you should buy stock. They always say to invest in what you know... ;)

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Archived