Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Medeski Martin & Wood (love it)

sudeep

hi guys,

i just bought my first MM&W cd (last chance to dance trance) and loved it!! i only heard of them through keyboard mag and this thread.

Can anyone suggest other albums of theirs? Or even other artists in this genre...jazz with a twist of funk and a hint of dance.

reminds of the david holmes (i think) soundtracks for outta sight and oceans 11.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of them! MMW completely rocks. You must check them out live, if you get the opportunity. John Medeski is amazing and he is such a master of the Hammond and Clav. Definitely a big influence for me. Plus, he uses a lot of other cool sounds including Wurly, String ensemble, Yamaha CS101 etc. The music is a little "out there" for some, but it is fun jam music, especially for keyboard players.

Other groups to check out like this would be Soulive, Niacin (a little more prog rock than acid jazz, but great Hammond playing nonetheless). Also check out Galactic, Jamiroquai, The New Deal, Greyboy Allstars...all good stuff in a similar kind of vibe.

Regards,

Eric

I'll echo eric's recommendations, especially Galactic. Definitely check out MMW, Galactic, Soulive, etc. if they come to a town near you. The CDs are great, but nothing compared to seeing them live! Definitely a DO NOT MISS.

:thu:

David

Dj Logic has a relativley new concept album called "the Anomoly" (Rope a Dope Records) and the featured keyboardist is John Medeski. He totally kicks ass! If you like MM&W, you will love this cd. They are from Providence so they play around here all the time, they're incredible live as they go into 1/2 hour jam sessions.

~nel

Modeski is entirely lacking in passion and conviction. Just so cutesy.

The Beastie Boys just floor MM&W at their own game. They're not busy being terminally cutesy and condescendingly hip.

Did I say cutesy again?

I wonder why...

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

You must be talking about a different Modeski [sic]. The John Medeski from MMW is not what I would call "cutesy" or lacking conviction. Is there a boy band called Modeski? As for the Beastie Boys, they also rock, but in a different way. Of course, we all have our own opinions and many people might think that MMW is not as accessible as something like the Beastie Boys.

I will also second the opinion about the album "A Go Go" which is John Scofield backed by MMW. It is a great listen, and not as warped as MMW's usual stuff. A Go Go actually has some memorable songs as opposed to being totally improvisational.

Regards,

Eric

Here's a rare one that John Medeski was on. It's called David Fiuczynski John Medeski Lunar Crush 1994 Gramavision Inc. Distributed by Rhino Records. I'm not sure it's still in print. It's what turned me on to John Medeski & one of my all time favourites.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Shack Man is definitely what I personally would call cutesy. Coy even.

However, since posting that controversial bit, I have heard a MM&W live sounding thing, with a piano, that I thought evaded cutesiness most of the time.

I do like his approach to the piano, although he only seems to have one, although a fun classic nonsense jazz one. Nice texture.

It also seems like the bassist has really learned to play his instrument at last, and the drummer is nice in that his time is totally human, nothing metronomic about it.

Still, it's this one swinging hip hoppity groove forever, world without end, amen.

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived