Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In Praise Of Restoration

soapbox

Tonight I had the privilege of watching vintage archives of old television footage of legendary jazz musicians Louis Armstrong, Dave Brubeck, and Bud Powell. The screening was held at the Harmony Gold Theatre in Hollywood.

The program started with an early sixties era Australian TV special featuring the Dave Brubeck Quartet. The program itself was humorous in how quaint it was: the cigarette company that sponsored the show had its name in the title, and the host always had a cigarette in hand. They choreographed a ballet style square dance to Dave Brubeck's music in his honor and placed modern art behind his group that they felt mirrored his music. It was quite amusing, but endearing as well.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet itself was great. I found a new appreciation for Brubeck's playing that I had somehow missed before. While he may not have been revolutionary, he was brilliant nonetheless.

After the restored half-hour show ended, we were treated to an excerpt of a sixties era French TV show centered around Bud Powell. They had his band playing in a French nightclub and spent a lot of time with the camera focussing of the bizarre facial expressions Powell made while he played.

The program ended with a Czechoslovakian TV show that filmed as they followed Louis Armstrong on tour. I remember Armstrong as a true pioneer in jazz. What this show brought back home for me was the joy and charm Armstrong performed with. In one song he sang, "Maybe one day she'll come back to me." Then he cracked a smile and ad-libbed, "but she probably won't!"

The Recording Academy did a great thing by bringing back these shows to life! It's one thing to restore jazz records, but we'd be missing an important dimension and context without being able to witness these old live performances. They instantly transported me to another time and place. I wish that I could do justice in describing them!

Perhaps one day, they'll air again on television. In the meantime, keep a lookout for them in film festivals in your area.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert, I've been tempted to purchase the Ken Burns series as well! I saw parts of it when it aired, but work kept me from seeing it all. Maybe this year, I'll get it for my birthday! ;)

BTW, the Academy has posted info on the event I went to on their web site. Click here to read more .

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Archived