Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Microsoft vs Pro Audio

Sorry to revive the whole Mav vs PC thing, but I came across this post on the Logic mailing list and thought it may be of interest: [quote] Microsoft has no intention of improving their support for professional audio. While working for MSN Music, I used to work alongside the Microsoft audio team (at Microsoft) and was invited to a meeting where they discussed whether to seriously support pro audio hardware and app's at the OS level. This being just 15 months ago. They resolved that Windows is a business app and consumer level product OS because that's where the money is, sorry to say, and they will not put the effort into root OS level improvement for professional audio applications. If you want to talk MP3's, WMA's, etc, that's a different story, because there is potentially serious money in that. All in all, I'd say throw a few extra bones in Apple's direction, because they're in your corner. -"David" [/quote]Comments?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are sorry to revive the whole Mac vs PC thing why post this? Apple is in it's corner. Microsoft is in it's corner. And I have one in each corner of my studio. They are tools, that's all. And they are both in it for themselves, not you. Don't be silly. Namelss quotes that someone lists on this board, or any boarc, are useless gossip and rumor. They serve no purpose but to inflame and agitate. In the end there is usually nothing of value posted, just oppinions, and more rumors.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

So how would you support pro audio at an OS level? MIDI limitations right now are more in the USB protocol than anything else; audio is the province of the people making interfaces and DAWs. Microsoft has been heavy into making the WDM thing happen, and that's pro audio...and WMA9 is committed to surround. Doesn't seem too terrible to me. I'm just happy that they've made an operating system that is nice and stable. To me, THAT's what matters for pro audio!!

ive used both systems. my personal experience is that either can work well and both have their strong and weak points. in my experience if you have a pc that runs at double the cpu speed of a mac they will be about even overall. cpu speed seems to work different for each platform and seems to be a non-indicator of direct competition between the two. a PIII 500mhz does some things faster than my g3/400, but not most things. the p3 runs t-racks about 10 times faster than my g3/400, but protools is almost unusable with the p3. what does this all mean? nothing. use both platforms. which ever one you scream at less, use that one more. personally i scream and yell at windows 98 and rip my hair out when i use it, however i only mutter angrily at macos 9.1 so for me the lesser of the two antagonizing things is the mac. i dont understand where the audio world will go with the advent of the widely unused osX. osX looks really neat and i am sure its great and all, but none of my software will run in it so its of no use to me.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]Microsoft has been heavy into making the WDM thing happen, [/b][/quote]Since I consider WDM to be the best low latencey driver spec availible I guess I can't take Microsoft's so called statement with anything but a grain salt.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Well, I'm a both OS's man myself, and I gotta say that neither company seems too concerned about the audio professional. Think about the new Macs and their unbelievably loud fans. Do they think that helps pro audio in any way? Maybe they are throwing us a bone with Audio Units and such, but I think even Apple's seriousness about pro audio leaves a lot ot be desired, too. And I think Craig is right. I think stable operating systems are what matters.
Andrew Mazzocchi

I think Apple really is ramping up to do more with pro audio, or at least, good audio tools/quality that's useable by pros. They've made some very astute hires lately, like Dana Massie. I think the perception that Apple was clueless about pro audio was pretty much 100% accurate until Dan Brown came on board. I could sense he was swimming upstream for a long time, but things are finally shakin' at Apple. And remember, this is from someone who uses both platforms but does most of my serious work on Windows...I truly think that 2 years from now, Apple is going to be smokin' on the media front. At least I hope so.

I'm very new to Macs (OS X) and I've yet to use one in anger but there seems to be some well thought out stuff in OS X re. surround and MIDI. Windows always seemed to treat pro audio as, at best, an afterthought.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Archived