Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommend a REALISTIC Piano Module ?

Chris Maxin

Can anyone recommend a really nice realistic piano module ? my roland xp60 just doesnt cut it. I need something that can be soloed with voice. Seems alot of sounds are only good when covered up by a mix. any suggestions would be appreciated. :confused:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a new Kurzweil module coming out called the micro-ensemble. The piano in it is based on the piano in the PC2. Look for the recent thread on it. If it's anything like the PC2 it's a fabulous piano.

The previous piano module from them, the micro-piano has been a popular and successful item for years. Got one. Still use it when I don't want to mike the Steinway.

Alternatively you could buy a Roland XV5050 and put the SRV piano expansion in, but that's a more expensive way to get a piano sound. And it may not be better.

Have you considered a soft-solution like Giga?

Jerry

Exactly what kind of sound are you going for? A good point was made on another thread recently - most keyboard pianos don't sound like a REAL piano - i.e. a piano in a room with you sitting in front of it - rather than a RECORDING of a piano, since that's the context in which they are frequently used. I daresay that what most of us consider the best REAL sampled piano wouldn't hold a candle to a modest upright in a nice room. YMMV

-Casey

Originally posted by Tusker:

Have you considered a soft-solution like Giga?

Jerry

In order to get really high quality sampled pianos, you really do need to consider a software solution such as Giga Studio/Sampler. There is no way a ROM card in a module or keyboard can store and process enough information in order to capture a sampled piano with complete accuracy.

You may want to check out some of these MP3 demos of the sampled Bosendorfer Imperial concert grand piano in Giga/HALion format...

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/030.mp3

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/032.mp3

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/006.mp3

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/027.mp3

Kip

Bardstown Audio

www.bardstownaudio.com

Originally posted by sysexguy:

Kip, on your web site, EXS 24 format is mentioned, can you give some details and delivery????

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I am anticipating having the EXS24 version available within the next two to three weeks. I am working with Emagic at the moment on this.

I very much appreciate your interest!

Kip

Bardstown Audio

www.bardstownaudio.com

The "Nice Piano" patch on the XP series is still one of my favorite "non-dedicated" piano patches that comes standard on keyboards. By non-dedicated I mean not having a big sampled piano in excess of 8 meg burried in the ROM. I think that patch is much better than the other piano patches on the Roland XP. If you have an E-mu P2K or compatable check out the the piano on the Sounds of the ZR ROM. It is a nice 16 meg sample. The SRV ROM for the Roland XV series is decent but I wish it had more sustain in the top end. I usually layer it with the ZR piano and get a nice, playable result. I checked out the new E-mu keyboard yestorday. The new 24 bit D/A converters has done wonders for the sounds, including piano so you might consider that or a P2500.

I don't have it but many here rave about the sound of the Kurz PC2R for both piano and organ.

After getting used to the stock GigaStudio piano it is hard for me to enjoy any of the ROMpler piano patches or digital pianos. I assume that will be a bigger problem for me once I purchase a bigger GigaStudio piano with 8 velocity samples plus release sample per note.

Has anyone heard the NEW 16 meg piano card for the Korg Triton? The one that is included in the Triton Studio?

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thank you everyone that posted ! Your suggestions are well noted. I will seek to try them all.My xp-60 has the session upgrade but its not what im completely looking for. This Bosendorfer sound has my attention.Im not sure what this is though,.. a cd sample to load into a sampler ? The slow somber mp3's are the sound im after. Slow soft lounge piano would describe it best. If i could get that sound, i could probly take care of about 90% of what i need. Im really not looking to reinvest in my equipment. I wanted something relatively inexpensive ( $300-400) to just add on to my Roland IF that is realistic. Do i need to get a sampler ?

Hello Chris,

In order to be able to play the Bosendorfer Imperial, you will need Giga Studio software for a PC. By having Giga Studio/Sampler software, it will open up many doors for being able to acquire many other high quality sampled instruments that are available as well.

You can go to the Tascam web site for more information on Giga Studio/Sampler at www.tascam.com

Kip

Bardstown Audio

www.bardstownaudio.com

Here are a couple of new Piano, Bass, and Drums, Jazz MP3's that I have just uploaded, featuring the sampled "Bosendorfer Imperial," Dan Dean's acoustic bass, and a combination of Jim Roseberry's "Purrrfect Drums," and DS Soundware's new "brush" snares and "brush" cymbals.

Enjoy!

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/falling.mp3

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/fog.mp3

Kip

Bardstown Audio

www.bardstownaudio.com

• 5 weeks later...

posted 03-20-2002 11:45 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kip, on your web site, EXS 24 format is mentioned, can you give some details and delivery????

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I am anticipating having the EXS24 version available within the next two to three weeks. I am working with Emagic at the moment on this.

I very much appreciate your interest!

BUMP, Hello Kip, what's the latest on the EXS24 version?

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks, but although they sound great, im not into software or computer based format yet. Im recording to hard disk via Roland Vs1880 so i was looking for hardware at this time, or say in the future, were moving right now. wont be recording for a few months. thanks :)

BUMP, Hello Kip, what's the latest on the EXS24 version?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I very much appreciate your interest in the Bosendorfer Imperial!

I spoke with Emagic this afternoon and we are getting the final details in order. Hopefully we should see an EXS24 version of the Bosendorfer Imperial on the market within the next two to three weeks. I realize I have been saying this for the last couple of months, but I do believe we are finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks,

Kip

Bardstown Audio

www.bardstownaudio.com

Archived