Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Language barriers to access the world of computer music

Alejandro

I searched the web and there are very few web sites in Spanish, dedicated to computer music. Most are in English.

I can manage, because although my native language is Spanish, I can understand English and therefore I have full access to the computer music world. But there are lots of musicians (pro, amateur and potential) that dont understand English and their access to information about the subject is limited.

If your native language is Spanish and or have a friend who has difficulty to understand English, I can tell you (and you can tell them) which places I found and recommend where to go for information about computer Music:

Of course, you can buy Teclado Total which is a translation of Keyboard magazine.

www.yio.com.ar This web site is oriented to musicians that use computers as a tool. It has general information about various subjects related to computer music (MDI, sequencing, etc..) and is the only one I know of, that has plenty information (in Spanish) about sequencers and Virtual Instruments including VSTi and Dxi. They also have some manuals translated to Spanish (for free).

www.musicareas.com This web site (it is brand new I think) is oriented to musicians in general and has good information regarding MIDI, sequencing and recording.

In return, I hope you tell me of any interesting and useful web site of which you know about.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While you struggle to become more fluent in a second language because it is forced upon you by your love of playing music, I wallow in ignorance because everything is handed to me. It may be hard for you in the short term, but in the long term it is I that suffer a disadvantage. Three years of German/Deutch in high school and college is lost to the years because I never used it.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Rabid,

I understand you point.

I worked for a short while in the Middle East and began learning Arabic. I put a big effort on that and in a few months I was able to move around and more or less communicate. But when the work was ended, I returned back home and never practiced, so now I cant remember a thing (just to order a coffee and things like that).

Anyway, there are some musicians (grown up) that dont know English and might feel they are too old (or too big an effort) to begin to learn now. Remember that Personal Computers are not that old. Maybe youngsters would.

True, and it is nice that this forum has a section in Spanish. I should get my dictionary and spend some time there. If I ever got to nerve to post using my very limited Spanish I hope people would look past my inabilities. I am always embarrassed and angered when I see someone on an English forum criticized for poor spelling or English skills. Some people just don't understand that the Internet is global. I love hanging on forums with members from across the globe. It can only broaden your perspective.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Rabid,

In the Spanish section of the Forum it seems there is nobody (at least for now) interested in VSTi and Dxi synths and samplers which is one of the subjects I like to talk about (they seem to be more interested in mastering, recording and a bit on keyboards and guitars).

I visit the Spanish section of the Forum now and again, but I keep coming back to the English forums.

Rabid,

I didnt think you meant what you did not mean.

But if we keep going on like this, the Moderator will send as to a chat room

Is there any body out there? Anybody else I mean to make a comment about language barriers to access the computer music world or suggesting web sites in Spanish (or other languages except English).

Originally posted by Alejandro:

Is there any body out there…? Anybody else I mean to make a comment about language barriers to access the computer music world or suggesting web sites in Spanish (or other languages except English).

Alejandro, if you guys think you have it bad, try to find something in portuguese.

Not a problem for me (I've been studying english since I was 7 and lived in the US for 11 years), but it is for a lot of people I know.

I haven't really looked that much, but I don't think there's actually that much computer music web content in portuguese. There is one yahoo groups called synth-brasil, which doesn't get a whole lot of messages.

P.S. Me voy a Buenos Aires el próximo mes... a una boda. Primera vez en B.A. ;)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Alejandro,

¡Amigo! ¿Que pasa? Lo siento, pero no puedo hablar muy bien español. Una cosa: Hay web traductores, Babelfish, por ejemplo.

Y, tambien, la nueva version de "Logic Audio" hace en muchas lenguas.

Buena suerte,

Dan

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

¡Amigo! ¿Que pasa? Lo siento, pero no puedo hablar muy bien español. Una cosa: Hay web traductores, Babelfish, por ejemplo.

Dan, good suggestions (not trying to discredit your suggestion), but I think babelfish stinks. I've used it a few times when I needed to translate stuff to spanish, and it's horrible. I still have a good idea on the grammar, and I basically have to correct everything that it translates. And that's for basic stuff, every day use.

If you start throwing technical jargon into it (Plug ins, 'TR909 hi-hats' ( :D ), etc), it's going to be incomprehensible.

Personally, it's all of a matter of reaching the broader audience. I've thought about setting up a website with synth information in portuguese, but when I compare the number of hits I would get vs. making in English, it's not a hard decision. I'm still in the process of doing it, if I get a chance I'll do it in both.

The economic situation + taxes + disaforable exchange rates also makes most gear to 'hobby' (and semi-professional) musicians inacessible to most.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Rod Ca Said:

P.S. Me voy a Buenos Aires el próximo mes... a una boda. Primera vez en B.A.

Good luck. Bring some extra money to spare. Because of our economical problems, if you come with dollars you will find some things here are very cheap. But you wont be able to buy any computer music magazine so bring them with you if you want something to read. Things are not coming from abroad any more.

Archived