Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS - who's got it?

Dave Bryce

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a Sony Vaio laptop and it hasn't crashed in the 4 months I've had it- NOT ONCE! And I've been working the hell out of it!

Needless to say, I'm ecstatic :thu:

As for instruments, I just picked up a Hammond XK-2 (traded my old XB2) and a Clav Nord Lead 2 Rack. Both sound absolutely amazing! But the feel of the new Hammond kicks ass- square keys rule.

Another cool feature is the Hammond's audio in. I've been having a blast running other instruments through my Leslie.

Graham,

You're close to my other dream which I may realize in a few years, namely a _fanless_ (read quiet, silent, noiseless) laptop with 2 P4 CPUs (or Mac equivalent, I don't really care), 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, fully capable Firewire I/O to MOTU (or equivalent) I/O breakout box for MIDI, S/PDIF and analog I/O. Oh, and rubberized like those laptops Panasonic builds for the military, the kind you can drive a truck over without breaking.

All for under $2k. Plus then Sampler: Gigasampler 160 (or whatever's out then) and Sequencer: Sonar XL 3.0 (or whatever's out then). And Kontakt (or whatever's out then).

If I can hook that up on a little stand so that it's ergonomic, takes up almost no space and can be controlled with same/or/less latency than the current digital software engine can be controlled from a MIDI keybed, I'm there!

All PC/Mac solutions at this point fall short of that goal, though, still too expensive, too noisy, too inconvenient unless you have a full-scale studio setup already.

rt

Originally posted by DeafMix:

When I learned that me and my wife are having twins, it definitely cured me of my GAS!!! Haven't bought anything for the last 2 months! Except maybe for pampers that i'm trying to stock up! :D:D:D

Yo, Deaf!!!

Great news!!!

Now you can relax and enjoy the gear you already HAVE instead of having GAS attacks over everything you SEE.

For the next two years, you're going to care more about SLEEP than gear. ;)

Best wishes!!!!!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

_Two_ years?! More like ten... :D

Graham, yes, no intent to criticize what you have, sounds great! Even PCs can be stable, you just have to avoid the myth that they can handle multiple complex things reliably. Dedicate your Vaio to music only and you'll be fine. Sony makes a fantastic laptop, if I were to get one that would be my top choice right now.

Happy Easter!

rt

Originally posted by Dan South:

Originally posted by DeafMix:

When I learned that me and my wife are having twins, it definitely cured me of my GAS!!! Haven't bought anything for the last 2 months! Except maybe for pampers that i'm trying to stock up! :D:D:D

Yo, Deaf!!!

Great news!!!

Now you can relax and enjoy the gear you already HAVE instead of having GAS attacks over everything you SEE.

For the next two years, you're going to care more about SLEEP than gear. ;)

Best wishes!!!!!

Dan,

Thank you!!! Pretty excited 'bout it but also kinda scared. I mean it's our first and to think we have to deal with 2 instead of 1! :D Selling off my gear even crossed my mind, but my wife told me I was fecking crazy if I did it. She told me I worked hard to get what I want and that I should keep it coz it'll come in handy oftentimes when you need a break! Bless her!!! Sleep? Last time I slept was 6 months ago :D !!! Hehe, 3-4 hours of sleep is enuff for me. Having kids is such a big responsibility that one has to face eventually. Good thing the music will always be there!

• 13 years later...
This may sound pitiful to many of you (and that's fine) but I finally decided to splurge on a Roland Keyboards of the '60s and '70s sample board, and am delighted with it. No, it'll never be a real B3, Farfisa, Wurli or Mellotron but it's a nice little consolation prize for having shown up to the party 30 years too late.

rt

Realtance that was exactly my last passing of GAS... I have wanted that card (60's and 70's) for a long time for my aging but still useful/functional Roland JV-880 rack!

Good choice for old but no forgotten GAS for any man or woman!

Gas well my friend!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived