Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear prices

Rod S

OK, Rant mode on.

I just can't believe it. When I moved back to brazil, I knew you basically got screwed here with prices. The exchange rate is about 2.3:1, but since people make proportionally about 1:1, you basically would pay over twice the price than something in the US would.

But it gets worse.

The prices that I've seen end up being somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 to 5 times .....arghhhh!!!!!!! Ok, there's less volume of sales, so they gotta make up the profit margin.

To be fair, I shouldn't bitch. I got a chance to bring some nice gear back from the US when I returned. But it's frustrating to see the current situation.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When i was in Brazil last year I went to Foz do Iguacu, and went over the border by bridge to Paraguay. There were a lot of small music stores with reasonable prices. Why don't you go there?

Grtz,

Jeroen

When i was in Brazil last year I went to Foz do Iguacu, and went over the border by bridge to Paraguay. There were a lot of small music stores with reasonable prices. Why don't you go there?

Nice suggestion. I don't do for a few reasons:

- It's far.

- The merchandise is probably HOT (meaning stolen)

- If #2 doesn't apply, it was probably smuggled. Probably as good as hot.

- You never know where it came from. It may as well have been a reject lot. Or used and repackaged as new.

- If you bring it back over the border, you have to pay taxes to get it back to brazil. They are very high (about 100%). If you don't, you're a smuggler.

This is the on-going situation for about 30 years now.

If I'm going to do this right, I rather bring it back from the US. It's safer and I can do it legally without paying the import taxes. It just takes a long time. It's just annoying that I can't just walk into a store to check something out and buy it.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Clear!

I noticed that racks are very cheap in Brazil. I saw 19" racks voor less than $50 (20HE). Here in Holland they cost more than $200. But yeah, in the states those things are cheaper too...

Grtz,

Jeroen

Archived