Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Combination snare bottom/kick back mic?

Has anyone ever had any success with one mic being used to pick up the batter from the kick,and the snare from the bottom? I was wondering if this approach might work,using either a figure of 8 condenser or ribbon or an omni dynamic or condenser? I would also have a mic from the front of the kick and the top of the snare,and combine to taste. This is a rock trio (ala;Limp Bizkit)so I am not interested in 1 or 2 or even three mic tecnique.I would like my mics to tatal out at a max of 8 (I usually use 6). Any sugestions are welcome. Thanks,Rick :)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've not tried it but I think you would have to deal with major phase issues. Let us know how it turns out if you try it though!
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

You always have to deal with phase issues. At a show last night, the flabberghasted soundman desided to do just that because the kick kept cliping when the mic was in front. It's a great way to reduce some of the excess bass without using EQ. Most kick mics I've used seem to pick a lot of side sounds (which isn't a problem if the mic was inside the drum) so it would have no problem picking up the snare. The real problem you'd run into is balance. If the kick and snare aren't balanced, it doesn't matter how the rest of the kit sounds. With two mics, it's a bit easier because you can just play with faders, with one single mic, you'd better position it perfectly or one drum will overpower the other. You will also have to make sure that the overheads pick up a sufficient amount of the hats, becuase normally the hats come mostly through the snare mic (when it's on the batter side). Play with it and see what happens.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Archived