Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOTU 2408 vs. RME Multiface Hammerfall DSP System

Sharon

Hello

I want to buy one of those card

I also had a chance to hear them both but i cant hear the defernce.

And I'm so confused

Maybe you could help me :)

I want to know from you (if you own one of them or both ) what you think about those cards.

I know that motu is almost standart card after pro-tools and well know and suported by the company but it cost more than rme card , rme card sounds great and i know people that buy it before hear it.

But i like to explore before buying .

Thanks

Sharon

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It depends what your needs are really. If you do a 'search' in this and esp. Roger's forum - the 2408 has been covered extensively. I am a very happy owner of a 2408mkII with a g4 (256/500). The sound quality is great for my needs and pci installation was a breeze. If you use a pc, some of my buds like the delta products too. I'm not familiar with the rme you mentioned, but can tout motu products as completely top-notch and worth every penny. ~nel

Sharon,

The thing that I like about the MOTU line is that you can expand your system up to 72 channels, all on 1 PCI card.

I have a 2408 myself and never had a single problem with it. It's reliable and the sound quality is very good.

On the other hand I heard a lot of good things about the RME products. One rep from a top music software company mentionned to me that RME has the best drivers on the market.

Your needs will dictate your choice.

Hope this helps,

Jean Claude

Originally posted by YYZ:

On the other hand I heard a lot of good things about the RME products. One rep from a top music software company mentioned to me that RME has the best drivers on the market.

I've also heard great things about the converters on the RME (and the MOTU 828 & 896).

steadyb

I just chose the RME hammerfall 9636 over Motu.

After comparing the load on the processor for each system it seems that I can get on notch lower on the buffer with the RME.

Using a mac and DP I am unable to get the 64 samples buffer to really work but 128 does. 256 works best andbarely moves the processor meter. With motu, the 512 setting yeilded a similiar result to the rme's 256.

This is the only advantage I can think of.

I paid under $400 for the card and can install several of them if I want to use lots of digital mixer channels.

Hello

Thank you all for your replay

NELZ:It depends what your needs are really. If you do a 'search' in this and esp. Roger's forum - the 2408 has been covered extensively"

I using a PC with cubase mainly.

I want one of those cards because of the analog inputs for my two synth and sampler

this will be innuf for me until I have some money for

good mixer.

I will chek out in Roger's forum for 2408

thanks you all

Sharon

I have a Mac, and am trying to make a similar decision. If you're on a PC, I'd say avoid MOTU, though it has a great reputation on the Mac. RME + PC = happiness from what I've heard.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by SteveFortner :

I have a Mac, and am trying to make a similar decision. If you're on a PC, I'd say avoid MOTU, though it has a great reputation on the Mac. RME + PC = happiness from what I've heard.

Almost everyone that I know with MOTU using mac

Is there someone that use MOTU with PC ?

Well maybe rme is great for PC :confused:

Sharon

Yeah, the PC side was really a market afterthought for MOTU, who have been a Mac-only developer (on the software side) since day one. The RME Hammerfall, as far as I know, is the finest ASIO solution on the market. Unless your primary mode of work is Digital Performer on a Mac, I'd go with something other than MOTU hardware. (I say that as a Mac, DP, and 2408mkII owner, by the way.)

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Archived