Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Truths?

bearded yeti

What does everyone think of these monitors? They seem like a great buy for the budget conscious home-studio type like me. And yes, I know they rip off all their designs from other companies. One thing really bothers me though: On behringer's website they claim a freq response of 50 Hz to 21 kHz. But there are no levels specified, and there is no diagram of the response curve. Are they trying to pull a fast one?? Any experiences with these?

DM

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard them myself. There was an article on www.pro-rec.com that rated about 12 models of monitors, the Truths among them. They rated them high on value but less than average on sound. Particularly they said the highs were a bit harsh and after awhile there was enough ear fatigue to make you want to turn them off. The article was pretty recent, I bet you can find it without a problem.

-Casey

whether this is really related or not i don't know. yes, behringer do rip off other companies like mackie. there is also another more budget brand called phonics (may not be available in the US). i compared a phonics 4 channel mini-mixer to a similar behringer one. the fact that they 1)looked nearly indentical (except for the position of a few knobs) 2) both boast being made in the same ISO accredited factory, suggest to me they both come out of the same factory. most lower range budget instruments (not keyboards thankfully) have this. heaps of cheap electrics, whether fender, yamaha, magnum, ashton whatever, come out one factory or another. just compare a cheap fender and yamaha acoustic and i'll bet they both come out of the same factory (probably yamaha's). this of course is just an observation - it may be wrong.

pray,

kendall

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

I posted the same question here a few months ago. That thread is somewhere here and has the pointer to the review of many monitors in the same price range. After reading every review I could find I decided to hold off, save a bit more, and get something better. It almost seemed that they used an inflated "list" price to come across as being a great deal, but the sound quality was still a bit below many modles available for the same "street" price.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by jimbyjoe:

there is also another more budget brand called phonics (may not be available in the US). i compared a phonics 4 channel mini-mixer to a similar behringer one. the fact that they 1)looked nearly indentical (except for the position of a few knobs) 2) both boast being made in the same ISO accredited factory, suggest to me they both come out of the same factory.

snip

this of course is just an observation - it may be wrong.

Heh...

I remember when people I know who work at Behringer first saw the Phonics mixers. They were actually kind of bummed...

There's not really a lot that they can say, though, y'know? What's good for the goose, etc... ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Rabid:

I posted the same question here a few months ago. That thread is somewhere here and has the pointer to the review of many monitors in the same price range. After reading every review I could find I decided to hold off, save a bit more, and get something better. It almost seemed that they used an inflated "list" price to come across as being a great deal, but the sound quality was still a bit below many modles available for the same "street" price.

Robert

Thanks Robert. I think I'm going to hold of for awhile too and see what else is available. Maybe the Yamaha MSP5's or MSP10's? Most people seem to find that the Behringers have a "harsh" high end. Can anyone actually confirm or deny this? The main problem is that I have a long drive ahead of me to actually check these monitors out.

DM

I got to spend 3 or 4 hours in my favorite music store this evening. While there I they demonstrated a few speakers for me. They were quite proud of the new M Audio powered monitors. While I could tell they were a bit harsher than the other speakers more expensive speakers they were very loud, had good bass extension, and were only $325 street. Nothing else in that price range could match them. I figure at that price I can get a set, then some day if I need move up to the class of the Adams. For now those will fit my needs just fine.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I remember when people I know who work at Behringer first saw the Phonics mixers. They were actually kind of bummed...

What makes this even funnier is that Phonic has been an OEM enterprise for +25 years... they started marketing their own mixers some 10 years ago.

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Archived